Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can God love? (Part 2)

+15
Bellatori
Dan Fante
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
stuart torr
Ivan
Curious Cdn
Jsmythe
polyglide
Shirina
trevorw2539
boatlady
Tosh
oftenwrong
Greatest I am
snowyflake
19 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Can God love? (Part 2) - Page 12 Empty Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by snowyflake Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

The problem we have is that we can only think in our limited terms , we do not know of any process that covers the universe but if we did it would be just as simple as us explaining to a child how a toy was made etc

Depends on how much education you have, how bright you are and whether or not you are willing to learn things that are outside your comfort zone in the search for the truth. The universe and all that is in it is a complex place.

All the atoms that make up you were created in the stars. We are stardust, poly. Smile

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/06/990625080416.htm
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Can God love? (Part 2) - Page 12 Empty Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by stuart torr Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Well Shirina you seem to have the odds right not impossible.

stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Dan you understand the odds better than a bookmaker.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Dan Fante wrote:
Shirina wrote: If you can actually calculate the odds of something occurring, then it cannot be impossible.
Good point, although I think the problem with said calculation is that it involves unknown variables about the probability of spontaneous occurrence life. At least that's what I gleaned from a TV show. However, if you accept the figures then it's apparent that the odds of it happening are significantly less than there are stars in our own galaxy (I think) therefore it becomes more likely that it will happen somewhere. The evidence that we are the 'lottery winners', if you like, is that we are here. Case closed Wink

Yep, that is another issue I have had with "creationist math" -- they simply plug in numbers that they couldn't possibly know.

Did you know that it only takes 23 people to make the odds of two people sharing the same birthday 50/50? I say this because people often don't realize that the odds of certain things happening are often much lower than it would seem. In the case above, you would probably think you would need 182 people (half of 365) to have a 50/50 chance of sharing a birthday and 365 people to have the odds jump to 100%.

Indeed, the fact that we are here proves beyond doubt that it did happen - and it is likely it happened many times throughout the universe. The odds of intelligent life forming on a planet are most likely significantly lower than creationists would have you believe. They can't get science correct, so I doubt they fared any better with their math.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Those are amazing odds Shirina,so out of the posters on this forum about as I do not know how many there are two of us will have the same birthday.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm Deplume Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 am

Shirina wrote:

Did you know that it only takes 23 people to make the odds of two people sharing the same birthday 50/50?  I say this because people often don't realize that the odds of certain things happening are often much lower than it would seem. In the case above, you would probably think you would need 182 people (half of 365) to have a 50/50 chance of sharing a birthday and 365 people to have the odds jump to 100%.

Shirina,

Although it is massively unlikely that no two of 365 people share a birthday it is still possible. To guarantee that at least two people share one you need 367 people (catering for leap years).
Norm Deplume
Norm Deplume

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 am

I did know that birthday stat, as it happens. I think I might have first seen it mentioned many years ago on one of the Royal Institute Christmas lectures.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:04 pm

Norm don't get birthday mixed up with birthdate mate.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:52 pm

polyglide wrote:Star dust I believe is relative to the stage and actors, there is no way in which man can compehend the extent of the universe, the last space experiment involved years of travel and multi millions of miles and no one knows how little or how small this is to the actual size.

Man has a very limited knowledge of what is on earth but that which he does know has caused more problems than benefit, as for the universe he knows next to nothing.

We know that there is not one single piece of evidence for magic, ever. We know that everything science has discovered has a perfectly natural explanation, including numerous things that religion had claimed could only be explained by the supernatural, much as you're doing now.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:09 am

I feel it pointless to go over the same ground time and time again.

There is abundant evidence to confirm that, based on the odds of evolution having any part in the actual creation of life , there must be an alternative, you give one.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:18 pm

PG you know the odds of evolution having the sole part in the creation of life,there was no magic man called god who no-one has ever seen or christ who was just some wierdo even the romans knew that and they killed all wierdos.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Come on Stu, if you read The Death of Evolution by Wallace Johnson and learn the actual odds of evolution having anything to do with creation, then you must look elsewhere for the answer, even if you do not believe in God.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:24 pm

evolution was the cause of creation PG,and until I see god that is what I will believe.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:29 pm

Q. Who's Wallace Johnson?
A. Exactly.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:47 pm

I thought you knew it all.

He is Wallace Johnson.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:59 pm

What are the odds of someone with such a compelling argument (as per your claims) being virtually unknown? That's a rhetorical question.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Just because you do not know him does not mean he is not qualified in the manner needed to justify his opinions which are based on the accepted method of obtaining odds.

After all you do not know God.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:10 pm

polyglide wrote:Just because you do not know him does not  mean he is not qualified in the manner needed to justify his opinions which are based on the accepted method of obtaining odds.

After all you do not know God.
What are his qualifications then? Please provide a source.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Just enter, Wallace Johnson, The Death of Evolution on your computer and you will find all his works and his standing in society.

I thought you would be able to that without being told.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:31 pm

I did and there's a dearth of information about him. That's why I asked you, since your the one championing his credentials. I take it you don't know either. Of course, there's an easy way to prove me wrong (assuming you know). What are the odds on that happening, I wonder?
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Dan,you will have to wait a while while PG reads all about him from his computer.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:59 am

Or until he thinks we've forgotten about it Wink
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:42 pm

I am only interested in the calculated odds, which I can quote endlessly if you wish.

They are such that even were they 90% wrong they would still represent those accepted as impossible.

Why I wonder, do you think I am the only one who obtains information from the internet, you of course are a wealth of personal information based solely on your own efforts, I think not.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:51 pm

tell myself about wallace and johnson though and Dan also seeing as you know so much about them,c'mon PG.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:56 pm

polyglide wrote:I am only interested in the calculated odds, which I can quote endlessly if you wish.

They are such that even were they 90% wrong they would still represent those accepted as impossible.

Why I wonder, do you think I am the only one who obtains information from the internet, you of course are a wealth of personal information based solely on your own efforts, I think not.
The odds of you changing the subject when you can't answer a question posed about something you brought up have been calculated as 100% by me.
However, since you obviously aren't going to provide the info I asked for (because you and I both know you don't have it), I'll ask this, in reference to the bit in bold above: Could you please supply those odds and provide a full explanation as to how they were worked out. Sources backing the claims up would be nice too. Or is this another lie you can't back up?
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm

I did ask him about wallace and johnson for both of us Dan as he was avoiding the subject was he not. Wink Wink 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Without going into, DNA, genes, chromosomes, RNA, Ribosomes, proteins, thermodynamics, amino acids, etc; etc; just one example.

To form one protein which would be eccential for life to be begin is as follows by Dr. Charles E. Guye.

If we could imagine unlimited material shaking itself together over vast time so that this material fully interacts, the odds against one protein molecule forming would be 100 to the power of 160 to one.

This means no chance at all.

Further more we would need more universes of material , and not just 3 or four but sextrillion etc; etc; universes. Etc; etc;

The time required for shaking this material together on our planet would be, in years, 10 to the power of 143. A time that man cannot conceive.

Hope this educates you a little.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Also just what do you want to know about johnston, I can give you his whole history if you want.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:55 pm

polyglide wrote:Also just what do you want to know about johnston, I can give you his whole history if you want.
Go on then.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:57 pm

polyglide wrote:Without going into, DNA, genes, chromosomes, RNA, Ribosomes, proteins, thermodynamics, amino acids, etc; etc; just one example.

To form one protein which would be eccential for life to be begin is as follows by Dr. Charles E. Guye.

If we could imagine unlimited material shaking itself together over vast time so that this material fully interacts, the odds against one protein molecule forming would be 100 to the power of 160 to one.

This means no chance at all.

Further more we would need more universes of material , and not just 3 or four but sextrillion etc; etc; universes. Etc; etc;

The time required for shaking this material together on our planet would be, in years, 10 to the power of 143. A time that man cannot conceive.

Hope this educates you a little.
Where are you quoting this from? Without a source and context it can't be scrutinised.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Seconded. don't forget wallace also,list their achievements to start with,and we will know if it is copy and paste too.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 pm

We can all find quotes on the internet, by the way:
"Guye was a physicist who died in 1942 and was calculating the odds of atoms lining up by accident to form a protein if a vessel the size of the Earth with the constituent atoms was mechanically shaken at the speed of light. In other words, like Hoyle, he was someone outside his area of expertise, calculating "odds" based on utterly unrealistic premises that have nothing to do with biochemistry as we know it, much less any realistic hypotheses about abiogenesis."
Also, this experiment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment
Seems to blow those claims wide open in any case. I await your reply, PG.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Brill dan,the odds are more in the region of 180,000-1
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Seems to blow, being the operative words, seems to, there are later people who have calculated the same odds based on all the present available information and all the experiments to date have been based on what is already on found on earth and not what was before.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:48 pm

polyglide wrote:Seems to blow, being the operative words, seems to, there are later people who have calculated the same odds based on all the present available information and all the experiments to date have been based on what is already on found on earth and not what was before.
'Seems to' was deliberate understatement on my part. Something you'd have realised if you'd answered before reading the link. Still waiting for the rest of your answers. I'm putting the odds on them appearing at 0%.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:06 pm

I don't think it's wallace and johnson he knows about Dan, more like wallis and grommit. headbang 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Correction: Hadn't answered before reading the link. I'm sure you know what I meant anyway.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:31 pm

stuart torr wrote:I don't think it's wallace and johnson he knows about Dan, more like wallis and grommit. headbang 
He's compiling the life story as we speak Wink
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Just exactly what is it that you want to know?.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:27 am

Given I've already asked several questions / raised several issues in this thread (some of which are on this page) which you haven't answered, that's a bit of a silly question.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Well Dan, how silly is the poster? Rolling Eyes 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:29 am

No amount of education will make one able to understand for instance, the size of the universe.

The extent of education is solely dependant on the information we already have available and in our case very limited compared to the what the universe holds.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next