Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long do you think the coalition will last?

+24
Red Cat Woman
Adele Carlyon
sickchip
tlttf
Blamhappy
betty.noire
Scarecrow
Penderyn
astradt1
jackthelad
atv
Stox 16
Mel
LWS
Phil Hornby
Ivan
oftenwrong
witchfinder
Redflag
blueturando
trevorw2539
bobby
astra
Ivanhoe
28 posters

Page 12 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

How long do you think the coalition will last? - Page 12 Empty How long do you think the coalition will last?

Post by Ivanhoe Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:28 am

First topic message reminder :

I want people's opinion of how long they think this coalition will last. ?
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

How long do you think the coalition will last? - Page 12 Empty Re: How long do you think the coalition will last?

Post by Ivan Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Just a reminder of the title of this thread:-
"How long do you think the coalition will last?"

atv. Posting a pack of lies and unsubstantiated claptrap is just proof of the desperation of some people who will do anything rather than attempt to defend the indefensible actions of the sickest, most right-wing and most corrupt government in living memory.

Same old modus operandi that brownboots1 used to use at MSN. He had a list of 500 pieces of sleaze, which read in much the same vein and included such items as "the Marxist family" and "Gordon Brown having his photo taken on the London Underground". So post a load of lies (including 27% inflation in 1979), and when they are found out, lie low for a while and then post them all over again. I've lost count of the number of times that I've answered your smears about Mandelson, but I'm not wasting time doing so all over again. Then throw in a couple of paragraphs of stereotypical and dishonest drivel about how Labour voters are all benefit scroungers (lie - people on benefits are the least likely to vote) and that's supposed to pass for constructive dialogue. Even the link you provided is meaningless.

As for charity donations, Gordon Brown has donated all of the proceeds of his recent book to charity. He also decide to forego his PM pension, not something a Tory has ever done. Far from it, despite being too gaga to do anything useful, Thatcher claimed £1.7 million between 2006 and 2011 for "carrying out duties", multimilllionaire Cameron claimed the maximum mortgage on his constituency home when he and his wife have enough money to buy an entire estate outright, and Cameron also claimed DLA for his son but now denies that facility to others with disabled children. I know all about Tory charity - it begins at home and it stays there.

These political boards are for discussing the facts, not fantasy, and you're skating on very thin ice if you think your unmitigated rubbish will be tolerated for much longer. Try posting reasoned arguments supported by facts and links to their sources if you want anyone to discuss issues with you.

Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How long do you think the coalition will last? - Page 12 Empty Re: How long do you think the coalition will last?

Post by blueturando Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:07 pm

atv. Posting a pack of lies and unsubstantiated claptrap is just proof of the desperation of some people who will do anything rather than attempt to defend the indefensible actions of the sickest, most right-wing and most corrupt government in living memory

I cant see any lies in that list Ivan....Try to keep your toys in the pram

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by atv Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Ivan wrote: atv. Posting a pack of lies and unsubstantiated claptrap is just proof of the desperation of some people who will do anything rather than attempt to defend the indefensible actions of the sickest, most right-wing and most corrupt government in living memory.

These political boards are for discussing the facts, not fantasy, and you're skating on very thin ice if you think your unmitigated rubbish will be tolerated for much longer. .

Ivan, Whether the link is meaningless or not is irrelevant, could you point out the lies, are they true or not?

As for brownboots, I challenged him many times and my opinion of him was that he was not a Tory but a wind-up merchant deliberately goading you lefties with great success.

Maybe I should mention Vincent Price another Labourite who not only cloned anyone who criticised Labour, but spread lies, homophobic remarks and racial comments, Goebbels would have been very proud of him, as was most of the lefties on that forum..

And where and when have I claimed all Labour voters are benefit scroungers?

So Gordon Brown has donated his all of the proceeds of his recent book to charity and decided to forego his PM pension, well good for him, but tell me how many other Labour MPs have done the same, in fact I wasn't aware any politician has ever given up their pension, maybe you can enlighten me.

As for the 27% inflation in 1979, yes I admit that was very misleading, but it was a link I pasted, but that has now been clarified, but of course that will be held against me for life.

You claim these political boards are for discussing the facts, not fantasy.
Does that also mean that TUC general secretary Brendan Barber remarks that the working man, the very people who are most likely to be found devoting what little spare time they have to serving their communities. And their reward has been to be taxed almost out of existence by a greedy and amoral political class intent on feathering its own nest at the expense of the general public, is fantasy? Remember this was in May 2009, when Labour were in government.

Surely what you really mean is that this board is for discussing Tory faults and Labour suppositions, assumptions maybes and if's, and not for discussing Labour failures.

You say I'm skating on very thin ice if I think my unmitigated rubbish will be tolerated for much longer, well as this site is mainly for Labourites patting each or on their backs, I will save you the trouble.
atv
atv

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:35 pm

I detect a small boy with jam all over his face and fingers who is denying strenuously that he knows anything about the missing doughnuts.... Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by atv Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:I detect a small boy with jam all over his face and fingers who is denying strenuously that he knows anything about the missing doughnuts.... Very Happy

I was expecting some sort of reply, but not that quick.
atv
atv

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:01 pm

The above list as posted by atv is to say the very least, controversial and highly debatable, many so called "facts" and statistics have SOME truth in them.

Many of the facts in atv s list could quite easily be directed equaly at the present government, like for example "a referendum denied", remember the cast iron guarantee ?, and "bad news buried".

The proof of the pudding in any society is standard of living and quality of life and all the things which contribute, like decent public services, education, jobs, earnings, working conditions and rights, housing, social care and the communities we all live in.

Its all very well making sweeping statements with no explanation, like for example "The ‘Golden Rule’ on borrowing abandoned when it didn’t fit" which is one of the many highly contentious so called facts on atv s list.

WHY was the golden rule broken ?

The answer is not because the government at the time was incompetent, or that it was incapable of meeting its promises, the Golden Rule was broken because a tidal wave of financial crisis and recession swept accross the world and blew every economic policy and plan out of the water.

If Gordon Brown owned a wooden hut and a once in a lifetime storm came along and blew the roof off, would it be his fault, and if he borrowed some money to repair it, would he be making a mistake. ?

The real fact is - that to produce such a list as atv has done is mischievous and highly missleading.

witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by atv Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 pm

witchfinder wrote:The above list as posted by atv is to say the very least, controversial and highly debatable, many so called "facts" and statistics have SOME truth in them.

Its all very well making sweeping statements with no explanation, like for example "The ‘Golden Rule’ on borrowing abandoned when it didn’t fit" which is one of the many highly contentious so called facts on atv s list.

WHY was the golden rule broken ?

The answer is not because the government at the time was incompetent, or that it was incapable of meeting its promises, the Golden Rule was broken because a tidal wave of financial crisis and recession swept accross the world and blew every economic policy and plan out of the water.

If Gordon Brown owned a wooden hut and a once in a lifetime storm came along and blew the roof off, would it be his fault, and if he borrowed some money to repair it, would he be making a mistake. ?

The real fact is - that to produce such a list as atv has done is mischievous and highly missleading.

Gordon Brown's borrowing record has come under intense fire after official figures confirmed that, had he not changed its parameters at the last minute, he would now have broken his golden rule. 25 Apr 2006.
www.telegraph.co.uk › Finance
So when was this tidal wave of financial crisis and recession swept accross the world and blew every economic policy and plan out of the water, and blew his roof off?

I wonder if it would have been mischievous and highly missleading if it had referred to the Torys.

atv
atv

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:24 pm

In 2007, that is 10 years after Labour came to power, the National Debt of the country was lower than it was when John Major was defeated in 1997, this is an economic fact.

The "Golden Rule" as adhered to by Gordon Brown until the financial crisis of 2008 basicly meant that National Debt should not go above 40% of GDP.
The Golden Rule was met by the government throughout the period and was never broken until forced to by the global credit crunch / financial crisis.

There are lots and lots of very unfair, missleading and michievous comments which come from Conservative politicians and their supporters.
Sometimes the coalition sounds like a parrot, continualy repeating the same message over and over again "the debt we inherited" or "the debt that the previous government ran up".

At the time of the banking / financial crisis the then opposition Tory party offered no alternative to Gordon Brown and Alistair Darlings rescue plans.
The Conservatives had no answers, they had no suggestions and no alternative solution, they basicly hadent a clue.

As Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman said at the time about David Cameron "he has had little to offer other than to raise the red flag of fiscal panic."

The Liberal Democrats have an even more shameful record, not only agreeing with what Alistair Darling and Gordon Brown did, but then warning the electorate not to vote Conservative in the election because "cutting too soon, too quickly and too deeply would jepordise the recovery", not only were they right, but have been proved to be right, but of course the Lib Dems changed their minds.

witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm

witchfinder wrote:In 2007, that is 10 years after Labour came to power, the National Debt of the country was lower than it was when John Major was defeated in 1997, this is an economic fact.

The "Golden Rule" as adhered to by Gordon Brown until the financial crisis of 2008 basicly meant that National Debt should not go above 40% of GDP.
The Golden Rule was met by the government throughout the period and was never broken until forced to by the global credit crunch / financial crisis.

There are lots and lots of very unfair, missleading and michievous comments which come from Conservative politicians and their supporters.
Sometimes the coalition sounds like a parrot, continualy repeating the same message over and over again "the debt we inherited" or "the debt that the previous government ran up".

At the time of the banking / financial crisis the then opposition Tory party offered no alternative to Gordon Brown and Alistair Darlings rescue plans.
The Conservatives had no answers, they had no suggestions and no alternative solution, they basicly hadent a clue.

As Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman said at the time about David Cameron "he has had little to offer other than to raise the red flag of fiscal panic."

The Liberal Democrats have an even more shameful record, not only agreeing with what Alistair Darling and Gordon Brown did, but then warning the electorate not to vote Conservative in the election because "cutting too soon, too quickly and too deeply would jepordise the recovery", not only were they right, but have been proved to be right, but of course the Lib Dems changed their minds.

Or had there minds was changed for them, I tend to think there is a bit of arm twisting going on, but still does not give them the right to put the UK into the dire state its in and they will have to pay for it along with the Tories.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:01 am

Gordon Brown's borrowing record has come under intense fire after official figures confirmed that, had he not changed its parameters at the last minute, he would now have broken his golden rule. 25 Apr 2006.
www.telegraph.co.uk › Finance
So when was this tidal wave of financial crisis and recession swept accross the world and blew every economic policy and plan out of the water, and blew his roof off?
atv. Yet more fiction (to put it kindly) from you, with a so-called 'link' which just goes to 'The Daily Telegraph' website and not to any article about finance.

I'll reply with part of an article by Johann Hari, supported by a real link:-

To claim that this crisis was caused by Labour “racking up debt” is simply false. When the Great Crash hit, Britain had the second-lowest debt in the G7 club of leading economies. To react to a recession by increasing spending, and so keeping the economy afloat, is the only rational response. The real criticism is that they didn’t go anything like far enough, and now Ed Miliband’s Labour Party is too cowardly to defy the false conventional wisdom and make the case for fiscal stimulus, instead promising merely slower, smarter cuts.

The real reason why David Cameron is imposing these massive cuts has nothing to do with the national debt or the deficit. It is because he regards himself as, in his words, “the child of Thatcher”, and he wants to pursue her agenda harder and faster than she ever dreamed. He can do the difficult job of selling that to the British people if he wishes – but he should stop doing it on the basis of a swollen, suppurating lie.

http://johannhari.com/2011/03/29/the-biggest-lie-in-british-politics/

(Just for the record, 'The Guardian' supported the Liberal Democrats at the last general election, so you're being misleading again if you claim that to be "a Labour source".)
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:06 am

I have been studying the recent opinion polls and reading what political commentators are saying, it appears that UKIP are virtualy knocking on the door of the Lib Dems, infact one poll (Survation) for The Mail has them neck and neck.

What seems like a real surge in support for UKIP is also acknowledged on UKIPs own website, but where is this extra support coming from and why. ?

Its hardly likely that dissolutioned Lib Dems are turning to UKIP, more likely is dissolutioned Conservatives which would be rather worrying for David Cameron and party central office.

If those people who have always considered voting for UKIP, or would be tempted to vote UKIP suddenly see that it may not be a waste of time or a wasted vote, then it would be the Conservatives who would be the greatest losers, effectively spliting their vote.

We are living in interesting times, and I suspect things are going to get even more interesting.

witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 am

Local elections on May 3rd. may precipitate a sea-change in the Coalition, as many people expect a blood-bath for Lib-Dem candidates, though UKIP's strength is not at local-council level. Once again, as at the preceding General Election, apathy rules, and results will probably emphasise the number of people who do NOT vote.

The Tories have always been very good at getting THEIR supporters out to vote, but how will the Pensioners behave this time?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 pm

witchfinder wrote:I have been studying the recent opinion polls and reading what political commentators are saying, it appears that UKIP are virtualy knocking on the door of the Lib Dems, infact one poll (Survation) for The Mail has them neck and neck.

What seems like a real surge in support for UKIP is also acknowledged on UKIPs own website, but where is this extra support coming from and why. ?

Its hardly likely that dissolutioned Lib Dems are turning to UKIP, more likely is dissolutioned Conservatives which would be rather worrying for David Cameron and party central office.

If those people who have always considered voting for UKIP, or would be tempted to vote UKIP suddenly see that it may not be a waste of time or a wasted vote, then it would be the Conservatives who would be the greatest losers, effectively spliting their vote.

We are living in interesting times, and I suspect things are going to get even more interesting.

After the last budget the Tories have lost the Grey Tory voters thanks to Gideon tax freeze on there pensions, and demanding money with menaces so Scam..er..on along with the L/Ds and rightly so will suffer at the ballot box it is making the 3rd May very exciting and I hope we all go out there and send a message loud and clear to them BOTH.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Sensible people can, unfortunately, now ignore the Tory Party. They've shot their bolt, and have achieved a 90% advance in Tory dogma. So be it. Abstentions at the last General Election allowed them free rein.

It would be easy to demolish the Quisling Lib-Dems and indeed they can not be looking forward to local elections on May 3rd.

But they are a sideshow, and anyone who wants to reverse the current trend must vote Labour. Next time and every time. Unless you're happy with things as they are.

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:45 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Sensible people can, unfortunately, now ignore the Tory Party. They've shot their bolt, and have achieved a 90% advance in Tory dogma. So be it. Abstentions at the last General Election allowed them free rein.

It would be easy to demolish the Quisling Lib-Dems and indeed they can not be looking forward to local elections on May 3rd.

But they are a sideshow, and anyone who wants to reverse the current trend must vote Labour. Next time and every time. Unless you're happy with things as they are.

The sensible can ignore the Tories if they have learned there lesson of the past two years, and do not forget the other 10% of Dogma people need to learn "Use it or Loose it" in regards to there vote. Im hoping the 3rd May does demolish the L/Ds and the people at the top of the L/D party realize if they do not pull out they are facing annihilation on the political scene. Or if they are happy to return to what there on the receiving end of at this moment.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Ahh mid term elections ( of councillors ) They always go well for sitting governments don't they????
Only the GE will matter as always, so you have sometime to wait before anything meaningfull

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:19 pm

I seem to recall that a narrow Conservative success ( swing from Labour 0.02%) at a Parish Council by-election at Scrumpy-on-the-Wold in 2008 was greeted by Central Office like a World Cup victory.... cheers
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:53 pm

And I am sure you guys will do the same.....enjoy Very Happy

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:I seem to recall that a narrow Conservative success ( swing from Labour 0.02%) at a Parish Council by-election at Scrumpy-on-the-Wold in 2008 was greeted by Central Office like a World Cup victory.... cheers

Wasn't that the time old Fred Floozit left the pub to vote, and sadly, due to over-indulgence in the amber nectar, mistakenly put his mark in the wrong place? Sad
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Less likely to be repeated now that so many village pubs have hung up the towels.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Less likely to be repeated now that so many village pubs have hung up the towels.

Just today Mothercare is hanging up the nappies.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Just today Mothercare is hanging up the nappies.

..and the tories are hanging out those on disability benefits.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 pm

The Tories HATE poverty. It might be contagious.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm

oftenwrong wrote:The Tories HATE poverty. It might be contagious.

Of course it is. That's why the rich require regular injections of cash into their accounts to counteract contact with the impoverished. It gives them a sense of wellbeing seeing the poor in a fever of anxiety as to how to pay the bills.

Seriously. I really believe that there is a crunch coming after the May elections. In the past the public have often been 'forgiving' to parties who have fulfilled their promises due to various circumstances. I know there are even people who balanced out 'that woman's' policies against her curbing of the Unions. Daft, I know, but there's nowt so queer as folk.

Getting back to the point. This coalition has surely passed the point of no return. People are 'wising up' to them and as the NHS deteriorates and poverty really takes hold, hold on to your hats.

The LibDems have a choice. Continue on to complete annihilation, or try to retrieve the situation. Though how, is beyond me.

I know it's hard, but we have to wait patiently. Continue to pressure where possible.

Sermon ended.

Your response to the prayer 'Lord bring down this Tory government' is 'Amen, so let it be'.Smile ,

But then, what do I know..
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 pm

trevorw2539 wrote:
oftenwrong wrote:The Tories HATE poverty. It might be contagious.

Of course it is. That's why the rich require regular injections of cash into their accounts to counteract contact with the impoverished. It gives them a sense of wellbeing seeing the poor in a fever of anxiety as to how to pay the bills.

Seriously. I really believe that there is a crunch coming after the May elections. In the past the public have often been 'forgiving' to parties who have fulfilled their promises due to various circumstances. I know there are even people who balanced out 'that woman's' policies against her curbing of the Unions. Daft, I know, but there's nowt so queer as folk.

Getting back to the point. This coalition has surely passed the point of no return. People are 'wising up' to them and as the NHS deteriorates and poverty really takes hold, hold on to your hats.

The LibDems have a choice. Continue on to complete annihilation, or try to retrieve the situation. Though how, is beyond me.

I know it's hard, but we have to wait patiently. Continue to pressure where possible.

Sermon ended.

Your response to the prayer 'Lord bring down this Tory government' is 'Amen, so let it be'.Smile ,

But then, what do I know..

I joined in your prayer a long time ago trevor 2539, I think by the end of April when people have there salaries in there banks thats is when the screaming from families right across the UK will start just in time for the local council elections in May where the L/Ds and the Tory councils will suffer there worst election defeat so how about a party for Friday the 4th May on this forum. providing the people of the UK answer our prayers.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 pm

I am afraid Camer-con and friends wont be bothered by a poor result at the forthcoming local elections, because that is what they expect.
They have IMO been right from the start itching to reverse most of Labours policies and feather the nests of their wealthy friends including of course themselves.
This is more important to them than winning the next election as what they are doing will be irriversible by the incoming government. To achieve what Thatcher attempted to do on her watch will be acomplished within their mandatory achieved 5yr term in office.

God help the poor the sick the elderly the young. Unless of course they are happen to be rich, then they will be getting all the extra help they need from Gideon and the front man Camer-con.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Mel wrote:I am afraid Camer-con and friends wont be bothered by a poor result at the forthcoming local elections, because that is what they expect.
They have IMO been right from the start itching to reverse most of Labours policies and feather the nests of their wealthy friends including of course themselves.
This is more important to them than winning the next election as what they are doing will be irriversible by the incoming government. To achieve what Thatcher attempted to do on her watch will be acomplished within their mandatory achieved 5yr term in office.

God help the poor the sick the elderly the young. Unless of course they are happen to be rich, then they will be getting all the extra help they need from Gideon and the front man Camer-con.

I agree with what you have said Mel, but would there be no way at all what bout a good team of Lawyers with the knowledge of how to unpick contracts or something else?
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Flag, after Maggies exploits, the Steel could be restarted, the Coal could be mined again, and Ships could be made on our rivers again.

Thing is, the way the scrapping of those industries was carried out, it would be prohibitively expensive to fire up the furnaces again.

Deals with shareholders of competitors, and treaties with the EU mean that too many vested intrests need us to be nice compliant little boys and girls

It all comes back to 'filthy lucre'
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm

astra wrote:Flag, after Maggies exploits, the Steel could be restarted, the Coal could be mined again, and Ships could be made on our rivers again.

Thing is, the way the scrapping of those industries was carried out, it would be prohibitively expensive to fire up the furnaces again.

Deals with shareholders of competitors, and treaties with the EU mean that too many vested intrests need us to be nice compliant little boys and girls

Hi Mel what I meant was I know that the 49% of the NHS that has been signed over to the private health care could those contracts be unpicked ?
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:51 pm

astra wrote:Flag, after Maggies exploits, the Steel could be restarted, the Coal could be mined again, and Ships could be made on our rivers again.

I'll second that! cheers
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:26 am

This weekend marks a milestone in the history of Teesside and Redcar, the blast furnace at the former Corus steel plant will be relit in preperation for the resumption of steel production.

The Thai company "SSI Steel" bought the site from Tata and has take on around a thousand former workers, but is the future bright and rosey ?, lets hope so, but only time will tell.

If anyone thinks that steel - ship building - coal and the chemicals industries are all going to come back, then they are in for a very big dissapointment, it aint going to happen.

Industry, raw materials and goods, services and products are based upon what people want and what people are prepared to pay, you can sit on millions of tonnes of coal, but if its not economical to extract it, then it will stay where it is.

What were once the great industrial powerhouses ( Britain, Germany, France and the United States ) no longer make steel, cars, ships or power stations for China, Brazil, Nigeria or Korea - they now make their own, there was over-capacity in the industrialized west.

As a supporter of the Labour Party I sometimes get frustrated at some of the outdated socialist attitudes and ideas that still exist in the dark corners.
We must concentrate on areas of manufacture where we can excell and compete, high technology, sciences, green technology, quality and precision.

Read about Gordon Browns "plans for the future" which included investment in new industries, new technology, research and green technology, and about the proposed "green investment bank" - an idea which was stolen and watered down by the Conservatives.

witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Some Financiers make a big play about their "ethical investment policy" which avoids buying shares in Tobacco companies or Armaments manufacturers and Chemical giants.

Curiously however, they don't seem to regard Tax Avoidance by Global International companies as "unethical".
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Witchfinder,

Please take into account that Redcar was not closed by ph ew I forget HER name! unlike Conset and so many others.
There is a demand for new vessels and for more Mariners. The South Shields Marine college is full to the brim, but the highest proportion of students are foreign.
On the Coal, I found this -
Introduction
The United Kingdom is well placed within Europe in having large reserves of indigenous coal both onshore and offshore in the southern North Sea. These reserves have the potential to provide security of future energy supplies long after oil and natural gas are exhausted.

Traditional mining methods however are not suited to working offshore reserves, and development and infrastructure costs of new mines can render the exploitation of landward reserves uneconomical. The concept of gasifying coal underground and bringing the energy to the surface as a gas for subsequent use in heating or power generation has considerable attraction. Underground coal gasification (UCG) has the potential to provide a clean and convenient source of energy from coal seams where traditional mining methods are either impossible or uneconomical."

http://coal.decc.gov.uk/en/coal/cms/publications/mining/gasification/gasification.aspx

Things MAY be moving after all.

astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Meanwhile back at the ranch, or should I say "back to the topic at hand

Some very interesting findings announced today by a YouGov poll of Liberal Democrat held Parliamentary seats, if the findings were reflected in a general election the Lib Dems would end up with a grand total of 7 seats.

For Lib Dem MPs it realy must be a nervous time, one eye on the calendar, 2 years down and hopefuly 3 to go, the polls might change, I could survive.
The economic forecasters are all shaking their heads, growth is constantly being revised down, a minimum of 3 more years of cuts.

What would YOU do if you were a Lib Dem MP?
witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 pm

" What would YOU do if you were a Lib Dem MP?"

Do you mean, AFTER I had kissed yet another Tory bottom , apologised to my constituents, and then taken a lethal dose of poison...?
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 pm

"What would YOU do if you were a Lib Dem MP?"

I'd probably hide in my nearest university, eating a pasty and hoping that it didn't bring on a heart attack coz my local A&E is closed! Wink
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Traditionally, the Tory Party has looked after its own. An MP who loses his seat,or not seeking re-election, would always be offered a place on the Board of a City company to help with paying the mortgage.

Have the Lib-Dems forged a similar alliance, or can we look forward to meeting them down the Job-Centre PLUS?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Ooooo! With any luck! But hey ho! They quite like workfare! lol
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarecrow Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:53 pm

Feel free to add any witticism's to Theresa May's other job as seen below, I lost the will to live after getting her to pose in front of the hearse without her spouting her nasty tory diatribe at me !!
How long do you think the coalition will last? - Page 12 Hhtr
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:44 am

Labour has established a double-digit lead over the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats have been overtaken by the UK Independence Party, according to a new poll.

The YouGov survey for The Sun put Labour 11 points ahead, on 43% to the Tories' 32%.

It also found that Ukip, with 9% support, had pushed the Lib Dems, on 8%, into fourth place.

The findings follow a torrid month for the Tory-Lib Dem coalition, which has faced heavy criticism over the Budget and its handling of the threat of strikes by fuel tanker drivers.

( The Press Association )

UK Independence Party (UKIP)
Here is the breakthrough YouGov poll putting UKIP ahead of the Liberal Democrats nationally. Click LIKE to spread the word about it!

( UKIP Facebook page )

This will surely send spine chilling shivers through the bones of Nick Clegg.
In a recent posting somewhere I stated that UKIP were knocking on the door of the Lib Dems, but this is not simply frightening for Nick Clegg, its also a worrying development for the Conservatives.

If UKIP get themselves established as the third party in terms of popularity, then the whole thing becomes self propeling, in other words if people who have been tempted to vote UKIP suddenly see that they could be in with a real chance, well .. you get the picture.
witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:44 pm

witchfinder wrote:Meanwhile back at the ranch, or should I say "back to the topic at hand

Some very interesting findings announced today by a YouGov poll of Liberal Democrat held Parliamentary seats, if the findings were reflected in a general election the Lib Dems would end up with a grand total of 7 seats.

For Lib Dem MPs it realy must be a nervous time, one eye on the calendar, 2 years down and hopefuly 3 to go, the polls might change, I could survive.
The economic forecasters are all shaking their heads, growth is constantly being revised down, a minimum of 3 more years of cuts.

What would YOU do if you were a Lib Dem MP?

I know what they are doing right now more than likely S***ING themselves that is why they keep slipping all over the place while going about there normal business.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next