Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double dip!

+11
astradt1
blueturando
Mel
Red Cat Woman
Stox 16
Phil Hornby
oftenwrong
astra
witchfinder
sickchip
Adele Carlyon
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Double dip! Empty Double dip!

Post by Adele Carlyon Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

And it's all Europe's fault! Well I suppose it makes a change from it being labours fault!
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Double dip! Empty Re: Double dip!

Post by sickchip Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 am

Double Dip!!?

Yes please! Can I have hundreds and thousands and monkey's blood on mine......oh! and a flake.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 am

The front page of Yahoo UK is more depressing than a funeral parlour owned by the Glum family, the various headlines : UK economy returns to recession -- More heavy rain on the way -- Warning signs of depression.

With the opinion polls the way they are and the Leveson inquirey, could things get any worse for the coalition. ?
witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:31 am

I'm Lovin'it!!

WHOOPS- THAT is McDonald's Catchprase!! Rolling Eyes
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 am

Gideon is all at sea in a sinking boat and knows not what to do......watch as he try's in vain to empty buckets of austerity into the ocean - but the ocean fills the boat up faster than he can act. Doesn't he look like silly and foolish man, boys and girls?
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:42 am

He looks like an uppercrust twit who's just had his cucumber sarnies confiscated by the head prefect! I wanted to say something stronger, but I don't think most of my post would get past the vulgarity filters!!! Wink
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 am

It's inspiring (not) to see that all those economic experts and advisors got things wrong again........I wonder if they feel comfortable being paid for persistent incompetence?
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:50 am

Of course they are Sickchip! Money comes before everything, even honesty and integrity for people like them. Now me, I'm the kind of person to tell the shop assistant that she's given me five pence too much im my change, that's because I have a conscience and I like to keep it as clear as possible! Wink
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:11 am

Note the detailed figures - the construction industry contracted by a massive 3.0%.

As any economist will tell you, the construction industry is a key economic indicator, my guess is that this particular statistic will send shivers through the bones of Georgie Porgie and David.

I am reminded of what Nick Clegg and Vince Cable continualy warned against during the 2010 election campaign - that cutting too deeply and too quickly would put the recovery at risk, well they were right.

witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 am

Tory dogma is reinforced whichever way the economy evolves between now and a General Election. If by some miracle there is an improvement, Gideon can say he was right all along.

In the more likely event of stagnation, the greedy will make sure that they grab even more of what remains, widening the gap still further between Haves and Have-nots.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:29 am

witchfinder wrote:Note the detailed figures - the construction industry contracted by a massive 3.0%.

.....and there is a massive housing crisis, ie. no affordable accommodation for millions; but will they invest in a massive nationwide scheme to build new social housing....killing two birds with one stone - so to speak? No.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:29 am

It comes to something when Osborne and Cameron are so inept that they cannot even organise a fiddling of the relevant figures to avoid the label of 'recession' being publicised.

However, normal service is in part resumed by Cameron ensuring that Jeremy Hunt is protected from criticism by his 'Special Adviser' being made to take the rap for his boss's shifty little goings-on.

And.......

Quote "... more depressing than a funeral parlour owned by the Glum family..."

A classic of its kind, witchy - respect!!! Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:47 am

Everyone on here is clearly older than they look.
"The Glums" was broadcast between 1948 and 1958.

Now who wants to be Ron, and who can play Ethel (Eth)?

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/radio/tifh.htm
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:10 pm

The United Kingdom slipped into recession during the autumn of 2008 following the credit crunch and financial crisis which swept accross the world.

Exit from that recession occured almost exactly one year later in late 2009, and at the time of the 2010 general election, economic growth had risen to a healthy 1.1%.

After the general election, growth soon slipped back, confidence went backwards, and by the end of 2010 we were teetering back on the edge of recession once again, and thats how things have remained ever since.

The United Kingdom finaly slipped back into recession almost two years after this government were first elected, and contrary to what Osborne or Cameron may say, this WAS predicted, they WERE warned about slashing spending too far, too quickly, too deeply.

The evidence is clear, there realy is no other excuse except that this government has got it badly wrong, and it is ordinary people who are suffering for what is economic incompetence.

Todays news means that the down grading of our credit rating is now a very real possibility, and if that happens, then this government should resign.
witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:12 am

Adele Carlyon wrote:And it's all Europe's fault! Well I suppose it makes a change from it being labours fault!

Hi Adele
Well this has been coming for the last half of last year. if not the last two years. as the plain truth is they have no fiscal Growth policy at all. I think blaming Labour has run out of steam at last. as people are slowing figuring out that its this governments lack of any economic policy is finally hitting home. I cannot think of the last UK that has set so many economic first's as this one. I said one whole year ago that this was on the cards. I posted the following back then.

Britain is doing worse than it did in the 1930s — and with Spain clearly headed for a double-dip recession, that makes three of Europe’s big five economies members of the worse-than club. Yes, there are some caveats and complications. But this nonetheless represents a stunning failure of policy. Tory party priorities really couldn’t be clearer. Just as in 1979 and 1988, a Tory chancellor is prepared to court serious unpopularity to attend to the core interests of the party’s most privileged supporters, while cuts in real pay, benefits, tax credits and unemployment drive down living standards for the majority.
It’s a combination that reflects the classic conservative fallacy: economic incentives only work by increasing rewards at the top end and by reducing them at the bottom.

As The Investors Chronicle put it (15th February 2010):

“The idea of a structural deficit serves a political rather than analytical function. It's a pseudo-scientific concept which serves to legitimate what is in fact a pure judgment call - that borrowing needs cutting.”

Osborne began to revive the myth of the structural deficit in June 2010, when it was becoming clear that the deficit would be under £155 billion, well below the Treasury's £178 billion estimate made six months earlier. In other words, the deficit was narrowing after Labour increased spending in 2009. The fact that the US, which has made no serious deficit reductions, has suffered almost the smallest recession of any major developed economy whereas Ireland and Greece have suffered the worst because of drastic spending cuts further undermines the government's claim that radical austerity measures are needed – and shows that Osborne’s main aim is not to reduce the deficit but to accelerate the transfer of wealth to the already rich.

Today we have come face to face with an economy that is being run on borrowing while having no real economic growth policy. his whole policy is now based on even great cut in public sector employment and closing down services that the Tory party have never liked in the first place. However, the Labour Darling plan that the Tory party did it best to rubbish at the time. Now has be proven 100% right. What's worse for the Tory party is that Ed Balls ideas for the economic are
looking better by the week. it was very interesting today that many within the media are starting to point to the US growth figures and ask the very same questions that Ed Balls is pointing too.

We are therefore in some very interesting times, as one small economic slip up in Europe will see the total end of Gideon's last hope. its my own view that even with 3 years to go, the Government is economically finished already. as even if it started to pick up by the end of 2013 it will come to late and far to small to help them in time. as today figures will only lead to more unemployment and a even faster slow down in business spending and investment, The North and Midland will be hit very hard by this news today while at the same time Tory party looks to protect its heart lands in the South and South east of England.

Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:14 am

Adele Carlyon wrote:And it's all Europe's fault! Well I suppose it makes a change from it being labours fault!

Hi Adele
Well this has been coming for the last half of last year. if not the last two years. as the plain truth is they have no fiscal Growth policy at all. I think blaming Labour has run out of steam at last. as people are slowing figuring out that its this governments lack of any economic policy is finally hitting home. I cannot think of the last UK government that has set so many economic first's as this one. I said one whole year ago that this was on the cards. I posted the following back then.

Britain is doing worse than it did in the 1930s — and with Spain clearly headed for a double-dip recession, that makes three of Europe’s big five economies members of the worse-than club. Yes, there are some caveats and complications. But this nonetheless represents a stunning failure of policy. Tory party priorities really couldn’t be clearer. Just as in 1979 and 1988, a Tory chancellor is prepared to court serious unpopularity to attend to the core interests of the party’s most privileged supporters, while cuts in real pay, benefits, tax credits and unemployment drive down living standards for the majority.
It’s a combination that reflects the classic conservative fallacy: economic incentives only work by increasing rewards at the top end and by reducing them at the bottom.

As The Investors Chronicle put it (15th February 2010):

“The idea of a structural deficit serves a political rather than analytical function. It's a pseudo-scientific concept which serves to legitimate what is in fact a pure judgment call - that borrowing needs cutting.”

Osborne began to revive the myth of the structural deficit in June 2010, when it was becoming clear that the deficit would be under £155 billion, well below the Treasury's £178 billion estimate made six months earlier. In other words, the deficit was narrowing after Labour increased spending in 2009. The fact that the US, which has made no serious deficit reductions, has suffered almost the smallest recession of any major developed economy whereas Ireland and Greece have suffered the worst because of drastic spending cuts further undermines the government's claim that radical austerity measures are needed – and shows that Osborne’s main aim is not to reduce the deficit but to accelerate the transfer of wealth to the already rich.

Today we have come face to face with an economy that is being run on borrowing while having no real economic growth policy. his whole policy is now based on even great cut in public sector employment and closing down services that the Tory party have never liked in the first place. However, the Labour Darling plan that the Tory party did it best to rubbish at the time. Now has be proven 100% right. What's worse for the Tory party is that Ed Balls ideas for the economic are
looking better by the week. it was very interesting today that many within the media are starting to point to the US growth figures and ask the very same questions that Ed Balls is pointing too.

We are therefore in some very interesting times, as one small economic slip up in Europe will see the total end of Gideon's last hope. its my own view that even with 3 years to go, the Government is economically finished already. as even if it started to pick up by the end of 2013 it will come to late and far to small to help them in time. as today figures will only lead to more unemployment and a even faster slow down in business spending and investment, The North and Midland will be hit very hard by this news today while at the same time Tory party looks to protect its heart lands in the South and South east of England.

Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:21 am

witchfinder wrote:The United Kingdom slipped into recession during the autumn of 2008 following the credit crunch and financial crisis which swept accross the world.

Exit from that recession occured almost exactly one year later in late 2009, and at the time of the 2010 general election, economic growth had risen to a healthy 1.1%.

After the general election, growth soon slipped back, confidence went backwards, and by the end of 2010 we were teetering back on the edge of recession once again, and thats how things have remained ever since.

The United Kingdom finaly slipped back into recession almost two years after this government were first elected, and contrary to what Osborne or Cameron may say, this WAS predicted, they WERE warned about slashing spending too far, too quickly, too deeply.

The evidence is clear, there realy is no other excuse except that this government has got it badly wrong, and it is ordinary people who are suffering for what is economic incompetence.

Todays news means that the down grading of our credit rating is now a very real possibility, and if that happens, then this government should resign.

Top post Whitchy. this credit rating is a very interesting one I think. one for us to now watch I feel.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:11 am

"....down grading of our credit rating is now a very real possibility ...."

as indeed it has been for the past four years, but Credit Ratings are relative to other Countries' risks, and the UK is still among "the least bad".
The UK was quietly forging ahead in 2010, but the change of government introduced a change of policy. The best that we can hope for in the short term is that the Eurozone economy will not collapse all around us. It's a mixed pleasure to hear that Ed Balls' view of the economy is now gaining acceptance.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 pm

The tories, and their ill considered policies, will simply plunge the UK further into depression....oops sorry - recession.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Cat Woman Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:20 am

I am not totally up on his issue. but what happens if France elects a left wing government? will this change the make up of how this silly policy is seen in Europe as a whole?
Red Cat Woman
Red Cat Woman

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 am

" ....what happens if France elects a left wing government?"

Fewer Franco-German agreements to stitch up everyone else, presumably.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Did anyone see Dimbleby's Question Time last night from Romford in Essex?

Wow!!!! that Damian Green was made to look so silly. I felt a trifle sorry for the bloke because he was sadly trying to defend the indefencible as far as his so called government is concerned.

Polly Toynbee (Guardian) gave an excellent few moments on how Camer-con and Co are doing no more than transferring wealth from the lower and middle classes to the rich. Diane Abbott (Labour) waded in too and both received raptuous allpause from the audience who were silent following anything in the way of excuses coming from Green's lips.

Nigel Farage was his usual blusterous self, letting himself down on the subject of immigration which he tried to use as a political lever against our being in the EU and failed miserably sounding a lttle racist.

The LD member (cant remember the weak fools name) was caught between looking to be against Tory policy but frightened to show it, just like all those LD sheep including the ram Clegg.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Seems to me that you watched a different programme Mel???

Many of the audience were saying they couldn't trust any of the 3 main partys anymore and they are all as bad as one another....which is the truth.

Farage came out the best until his immigration and housing rant

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Blue your assessment of last nights QT program was close, but you forgot to say that of the three main parties, the tories seemed to be the least trusted, if you go on the applause.....

Farage certainly came off the worse when taking about immigration and to keep saying to those who worked in housing that they didn't know what they were talking about, and that as he put it 'Major Private Landlord', being more aware of what was happening in the private rented sector made him not only look racist but also stupid...back to his one issue party...

It was good to see the audiance being allowed to have their say for once and the panel being put in their place.......
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:41 pm

blue. Perhaps you had hit the bottle a little last night.

Quote "Many of the audience were saying they couldn't trust any of the 3 main partys anymore and they are all as bad as one another....which is the truth."
You use the word "many" which should read few. The general overall opinion of this government was that it is not worth a candle and is pro the rich at all costs. This was shown at every applause which outnumbered by far the few that allowed to speak. I counted two out of 11 who said they did not trust any of the three parties.

Mountains out of mole hills comes to mind with your Tory orientated views.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Agreed Astardt...the Tories have lost any trust they may have had on the economy. Austerity is one thing, but without a real plan for growth it's useless.

Unfortunately no one seems to have a 'real' plan for growth and that's quite scary.

Agree once again....much better to hear more from the audience than the usual political spin we are usually spoon fed on QT

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Mel........You keep to that opinion if you want to, but it's a fact that more and more people in the UK have lost any trust in any of the 3 main partys. I am happy if you and other Labour people are complacent and close your ears and eyes to this though Smile

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:15 pm

more and more people in the UK have lost any trust in any of the 3 main parties
As support for the Labour Party has risen from 29% in May 2010 to 43% now, I beg to disagree.
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm

The trouble with our democracy is, in real terms, we're forced to choose between either a tory government or a labour government; and since labour sold out, and betrayed their roots, that has become akin to deciding whether eat a spoonful of shite or a spoonful of shite.

The fact that a few more smaller parties are nibbling at the ankles of the two big boys is slightly encouraging........but only if it forces labour to find the courage to be bold, and radical, again.

- of course the present bunch of clueless tory toffs need ousting asap - but the thought of this toothless (gummy) new New Labour taking over doesn't fill one with an abundance of enthusiasm, or optimism for the future, either.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:58 pm

deciding whether eat a spoonful of shite or a spoonful of shite

I couldn't have put it better myself Sickchip....At the moment its a case of same idiots, same bull sh*t, same useless policies......but pick a colour my friend, blue, red or yellow...or a sickly combo of two or more.

It wouldn't matter if the Tories or Labour had a 90% showing in the polls...it's still a spoonful of shite

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:35 pm

What rubbish. There can never have been a Prime Minister more up to his neck in sleaze than Cameron. Even now he's trying to keep a firewall in place for himself by not sacking his crony Hunt. Cameron sets up a ministerial code, which specifically says that ministers are responsible for the actions of their special advisers, and then he refuses to allow it to operate.

Labour in office did not do as much redistributing of wealth as I would have liked to have seen, but it didn't take benefits from the disabled or terminally ill, it didn't practise social cleansing in London, it didn't stop legal aid for battered wives and it didn't make abandoned mothers pay for help from the Child Support Agency. Above all it didn't privatise the NHS in return for party donations and set out to asset strip just about everything that's state or council owned in the UK. There's absolutely no comparison between Labour and the present bunch of upper class gangsters.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Maybe someone will set up a DISILLUSIONED PARTY.

Should have lots of supporters.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Maybe someone will set up a DISILLUSIONED PARTY.
The Tories would love that. They wouldn't care if they got in with 25% of the vote on a 20% turnout, as long as they gain power to continue with their greedy and corrupt policies. They know that their boneheaded core supporters will hold their noses and vote for them whatever they do.

There's nothing Tories like more than seeing the anti-Tory vote fragmented. We need a two-party system like the USA. Then it would be a case of either you're a Tory or you're not.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 pm

....great! Labour are definitely going to reverse all these tory policies....just like they did in '97. They're not going to oversee ever widening inequality, stifle social mobility, and sweep an underclass under the mat whilst hob-nobbing with their 'new' wealthier friends......because Labour would never do that, would they?

I guess it's our turn to try a spoonful of labour shite than. Yippee! cheers
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:51 am

blue. Quote--"Mel........You keep to that opinion if you want to, but it's a fact that more and more people in the UK have lost any trust in any of the 3 main partys."

Ah!!!!! now we have it. Tory supporters are dissillutioned with their party, so much so that they have no excuses left except to declaire that "people have lost trust in all 3 parties" I suppose that softens the blow for the poor souls.

The question is--- would you rather eat a slice of Labour beef that is one day out of date, or alternatively have a Tory slice that had virtually decomposed and had it shoved down your throat?

There is the difference blue and that is the real "fact" of the matter.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:16 am

Usual crap from melly. Accepting that Labour are corrupt hence the Tories are worse. Swap one pile of crap for another. It breaks my heart to have to agree with sickie on this subject.

Who knows maybe the next election the tories will win by themselves then we can see what their plans are rather than be held back by the liberals. Vote an independent extreme right wing politician and put the Great back in Britain.

You know it makes sense.....

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:08 am

Perhaps it is true that we get the Government we deserve.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:16 pm

"Who knows maybe the next election the tories will win by themselves then we can see what their plans are rather than be held back by the liberals."

Now that is an example of either a hopeful Tory supporter or a blithering idiot. The latter seems to suit. Smile
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Yeah, coz they're idealogically driven flavour of injustice is being watered down by those pansy arsed liberals eh? And you don't even see the cruelty of it all tlttf! I think their values pigging stink! They peddle hatred, shame on them!
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:54 pm

" we can see what their plans are rather than be held back by the liberals..."

There was absolutely no need whatsoever for the Tories to 'be held back by the Liberals'. They could either have refused to enter a coalition and maybe forced another election, or they could have opted for minority government.

It was only Cameron & Co.'s insatiable lust for power at any price that persuaded them reluctantly to take a ride on LibDems' backs. The fact that they now expect that their co-conspirators will do exactly as they are told,until Cameron feels the time is ripe for spitting in Clegg's face, is symptomatic of just what having a Conservative for a 'partner' really means...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum