Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Online security and advice

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Online security and advice

Post by oftenwrong on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

As of 8th April 2014 Microsoft will stop all forms of support for Windows XP. Bugs and performance issues will go unfixed, more importantly XP will also stop receiving security updates. Vulnerabilities that allow people access to your system will no longer be taken care of by Microsoft, or anyone.

Put simply Windows XP will cease to be a useable operating system, as it becomes more open to hackers.

There is the possibility to update to Windows 7 (if you move fast) or to Windows 8, but an older machine is going to creak under these bloated operating-systems.

A current desk-top computer is blindingly quick compared with your dust-collector XP which must be 8 or 10 years old now, but also investigate laptops and tablet devices, as you're in the market anyway - like it or not.

For general research on Capitalist tricks, begin by reading Vance Packard's 1960 book "The Wastemakers" on Controlled Obsolescence.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Re: Online security and advice

Post by boatlady on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm not worried - I understand Mrs May is monitoring my internet use - I'm sure she will protect me from any fraudulent activity - and provide any print-outs etc I might need
;-)

boatlady
Administrator (Global Moderator)

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:55 pm

Who is watching The Guards for us?
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:14 pm