Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

+21
snowyflake
stuart torr
Kazza
Dan Fante
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
bobby
starlight07
skwalker1964
boatlady
Chivnail
Tosh
agoodman
polyglide
Phil Hornby
tlttf
witchfinder
Shirina
Blamhappy
trevorw2539
oftenwrong
AwfulTruth
25 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 Empty Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by AwfulTruth Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have - seen and heard several. Am I crazy? monkey

There is a theory that most people believe they have had some kind of encounter with the dead - or whatever these things are.

It is also postulated that the dark matter in the universe may hold the key to a further dimension which may explain the spirit world. Quantum physics certainly opens the door to this strange idea, if we explore what Einstein expounded.

If you have had an experience please tell us what it was, where and when, etc. Then I will mention my own brush with the supernatural.

:affraid:

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

http://www.rhodesgreece.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 Empty Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Shirina Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Tosh wrote:A rather rushed analogy if I may say so my dear, science can create illusions identical to ghosts, the explanation can only be dismissed with some contrasting evidence, and there is nowt.....despite your claims
This evidence of yours is inconclusive, as I've said before. I've read the same studies you have, and I know that scientists have stimulated the brain to elicit a wide range of illusory experiences: smelling flowers that weren't there, feeling a presence that wasn't there, tasting foods they haven't eaten, etc. If your evidence conclusively disproves ghosts, as you claim, then it must also disprove the existence of flowers, food, and other people. You can stimulate the brain to experience an almost infinite number of things, and that does not, by any stretch, prove that people never experience those things outside of the laboratory.

Plus, as far as I know, people who have experienced ghosts were not wearing electrodes and having a scientist follow them around sending electrical currents into their brains. To simply prove that the brain can be tricked is not proof that the brain is tricked every single time someone experiences a ghost. You're making a leap there that isn't logical. You would have to actually study the brain of someone in real time as they had a genuine ghostly encounter - and, since reproduceability is part of the scientific method, you would have to do this to multiple people multiple times. That would be damn hard to do. So hard, in fact, that no one is going to waste the time doing it, Nobel Prize or not.

Tosh wrote:If it looks like an illusion, it probably is an illusion.
Except they don't look like illusions.

Tosh wrote:I see they solved the YETI mystery, very exciting discovery.
Haven't heard about that yet. I live in an information vacuum ... nothing gets in that's newer than 1970.

Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 Empty Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Tosh Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Except they don't look like illusions.
I know, they look like ghosts.pokenest 
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:07 pm

Bellatori wrote:That is really unkind Crying or Very sad but I have to admit it did make me smile Smile
It was meant to make you smile Bellatori Smile and I would be very upset if you thought I was being maliciously unkind.

snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:12 pm

stu wrote:Hi snowy and the rest of you posters I am asking you all to help me from today onwards just the first week is hardest for me once I get past the first week i'm usually ok  as i'm stopping smoking today!!!! I STOPPED DRINKING ALCOHOL  23years ago stopped gambling 7years ago all on my own but this may be tougher ok thanks in advance friends.
Are you doing this cold turkey, stu? I would use some NRT for the first few days. It gets easier. After the first week it is much easier. Just never touch them and they will never find their way into your mouth. (My mother used to tell me that but I think she was talking about something else)

I quit cold turkey and my ex husband and children still bear the scars from those weeks.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:13 pm

bloody quote box....why doesn't it work?
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Very Happy Very Happy  Yes cold turkey love,not even a bit of salad,so far so good,if they are not in the flat and I dont go out to get any I am safe. only one that will suffer here is my pooch but no bad temper yet, I tell myself keep smiling.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:52 pm

snowyflake wrote:bloody quote box....why doesn't it work?
Howdy, Snowy,

Fixed it for you.

The problem occurs if someone used an emoticon at the end of their sentence and you try to quote that sentence with the emoticon still in it. Just delete the emoticon and you shouldn't have issues with the quote box not showing up anymore. Very Happy 
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:57 pm

stu wrote:Yes cold turkey love,not even a bit of salad
If I smoked and wanted to quit, I'd quit cold pizza. That's somewhat more enjoyable than cold turkey - which tends to be dry and has a funny taste to it.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Many thanks, Shirina. You're a star Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Everyone has their own taste Shirina, I personally would rather go cold tuna with salad cream on nice brown bread rolls. Now i'm hungry.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 pm

stu wrote:Everyone has their own taste Shirina, I personally would rather go cold tuna with salad cream on nice brown bread rolls. Now i'm hungry.
Oh, I thought we weren't allowed to pick foods that are supposed to be eaten cold! That would make quitting smoking far too enjoyable. And me too.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Would it not make quitting smoking very easy though Shirina.Laughing 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 Empty Encouragement of sorts.

Post by Heretic Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm

stu wrote:Hi Dan just gave all my fags away, so from now on as my last post said i'm packing it up. so help as much as poss in the first week please.
I gave up smoking two months after my wife died. It was sort of easy this time, I just looked at my three kids and knew that they could not cope on their own (even though they are all around thirty) and so I needed to be there for them. My strategy was simple I used those nicotine lozenges, but I had no regard for the instructions except for the maximum dose in a day. My attitude had to be that I could not care how long I used them for, if I was on them for life that was fair enough. As it happened I was on them for twenty months with a few gaps and I did not need a cigarette in that time. I needed nicotine but not a cigarette. I still haven't had a cigarette for just over two and a half years and cannot see me ever needing one ever again.

One word of warning though about the lozenges is that they destroyed some of my teeth but in the toss up between lungs and teeth I was better off without the teeth. And my kids are better off too as I'm likely to be around while they still need me.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Haven't got that many teeth as it is Heretic, through the epileptic fits mate. I'm going cold turkey as I have done at giving everything else up, just this is going to be harder and I know it. Soon be tablets and then dinner then bed, so that will be my first day just about.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm

stu wrote:Haven't got that many teeth as it is Heretic, through the epileptic fits mate. I'm going cold turkey as I have done at giving everything else up, just this is going to be harder and I know it. Soon be tablets and then dinner then bed, so that will be my first day just about.
Hi stu, I am rooting for you buddy. It's been chaos here with work and both sets of grandchildren over, one side last night, and the other tonight, they've just gone to bed, phew. Got my niece's 18th birhday at weekend, so when I get the chance I'll post and try and cheer you on buddy.

YOU CAN DO IT....Wink 
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks Sheldon mate, as long as there is none in the flat Sheldon, then I consider myself a safe bet. Cos I am not going out to anywhere to buy any, and as ive thrown the ashtrays away second thing I did after giving the ciggies away.thumbsup thumbsup 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 pm

stu wrote:Haven't got that many teeth as it is Heretic, through the epileptic fits mate. I'm going cold turkey as I have done at giving everything else up, just this is going to be harder and I know it. Soon be tablets and then dinner then bed, so that will be my first day just about.
Best of luck.

Remember it is not about will power although you do need it. Addiction is a medical condition and if you find you need help then seek it out.

Heretic

Last edited by Heretic on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing words)
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Will do Heretic, tablet time now mate and I've got a cuppa before dinner so goodnight mate and fellow posters who posted support.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:18 am

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 NO_SMOKING_12x15cm__99518_zoom
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 Empty Rant

Post by Heretic Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 am

Has anyone noticed that mini posters are beginning to appear on buses declaring that not only is the smoking of cigarettes banned but the using of electric cigarettes is also banned.

There is an erosion of our liberties here and before blanket bans (Yes I know blankets are not banned) like this are introduced that we the public should be consulted. For example far more important than an electric cigarette ban would be severe penalties for using a mobile phone whilst driving a car (with exception for the use of hands free devices if fitted properly etc) to me this should always be regarded as driving without due care and attention (as a minimum) and dangerous driving or murder at the other end. At the moment judges are too lenient on drivers as most of them are themselves drivers and can probably empathise with the driver in front of them.

Ok, that's my rant over for today.

Peace

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:50 am

I tried the electric cigarettes, I was spending more on cartridges than real cigarettes, I smoke for the good of society, a form of self sacrifice, I smoke knowing it will shorten my life but I also know without smoking I would be a serial killer.

My smoking saves lives.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 Empty anyone seen a ghost

Post by stuart torr Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:26 pm

Nice one Shirina, that had me laughing. Laughing :lol:still smoke free here too!!!!
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm

I nearly was this morning Tosh. Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 Empty anyone seen a ghost

Post by stuart torr Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:52 pm

Regrets i've made a few but then again too few too mention. so my friends I face my final curtain.?Help aaaaaarrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh. I really could kill for a fag at the moment, but i'm not.not. I can't.Mad Mad 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:10 pm

stu wrote:Regrets i've made a few but then again too few too mention. so my friends I face my final curtain.?Help aaaaaarrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh. I really could kill for a fag at the moment, but i'm not.not. I can't.Mad Mad 
Meditations Not sure if this might help.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:40 pm

stu,

Every time you want to pollute your lungs with nicotine and harden your arteries with tar, think of your heartbroken daughter holding your hand in a hospital bed in the final moments of your life, all because you needed to smoke knowing the risks. Each time you get the urge, close your eyes, squeeze your own hand and imagine it is your daughter squeezing.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Trying everything at the moment Heretic, even the old pooch is trying to help me. Shocked 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Wow some thought Tosh,a shocker too. afraid afraid 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:57 pm

Wow some thought Tosh,a shocker too.
It is hypnotherapy, if you attach a thought to squeezing your palm, then squeezing it reignites the thought, your thought can be positive or negative, if you prefer a positive thought then imagine your daughter's smile when you walk her down the aisle, each squeeze is each step.

It can be done, I have stopped using this method.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:05 pm

stu wrote:Trying everything at the moment Heretic, even the old pooch is trying to help me.  Shocked 
Not sure what to say but the stress of stopping is not helping you stop. Find a way to chill.

Advice I might of given a week or so in advance is a book by Allen Carr (not the comedian) Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life This book helped me to stop for over four months with no cold turkey and no effort. It may still not be too late to find a copy somewhere. I've never heard a negative word against it.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm

stu,

Have you tried praying?
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:48 pm

Tosh wrote:stu,

Have you tried praying?
Read the Bible! I'm sure there are some inspirational verses in there.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Shirina wrote:Read the Bible! I'm sure there are some inspirational verses in there.
Thou shalt not smoke. It's the 11th commandment but of course this doesn't just refer to cigarettes but any smokeable material such as cannabis, crack, oregano, juniper bushes or sofas.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:17 pm

stu wrote:Trying everything at the moment Heretic, even the old pooch is trying to help me.  Shocked 
You can do it stu.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:14 pm

The last two hours have been easier folks, been asleep ahah. as an atheist one thing i would not do and that is pray folks. thanks for the support you have all been great.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:57 pm

stu wrote:The last two hours have been easier folks, been asleep ahah. as an atheist one thing i would not do and that is pray folks. thanks for the support you have all been great.
Keep at it buddy....we're all rooting for you.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 7 Empty seen or heard a ghost

Post by stuart torr Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:07 pm

Well folks I am a lot calmer than I was an hour ago, chilling out thanks. deadhorse Thanks Sheldon, don't worry i'm cool.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:41 am

I do not believe in ghosts as such.

God warned us regarding evil spirits and false religions and it is on that basis alone that I believe.

Having not been daft enough to invoke evil spirits I have never encountered them.

But I know of those who have and lived to regret doing so.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Another day gone as a NON-SMOKER folks. Getting easier day by day. Laughing 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 pm

snowyflake wrote:
Shirina wrote:Read the Bible! I'm sure there are some inspirational verses in there.
Thou shalt not smoke. It's the 11th commandment but of course this doesn't just refer to cigarettes but any smokeable material such as cannabis, crack, oregano, juniper bushes or sofas.
In the Bible during the Exodus the smokers were put at the front of the march to guide them. Thus they had a pillar of smoke by day and pillar of fire by night. Ex. 13.

An actual practise of ancient armies - though not smokers of course.

trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next