Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

+21
snowyflake
stuart torr
Kazza
Dan Fante
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
bobby
starlight07
skwalker1964
boatlady
Chivnail
Tosh
agoodman
polyglide
Phil Hornby
tlttf
witchfinder
Shirina
Blamhappy
trevorw2539
oftenwrong
AwfulTruth
25 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 10 Empty Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by AwfulTruth Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have - seen and heard several. Am I crazy? monkey

There is a theory that most people believe they have had some kind of encounter with the dead - or whatever these things are.

It is also postulated that the dark matter in the universe may hold the key to a further dimension which may explain the spirit world. Quantum physics certainly opens the door to this strange idea, if we explore what Einstein expounded.

If you have had an experience please tell us what it was, where and when, etc. Then I will mention my own brush with the supernatural.

:affraid:

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

http://www.rhodesgreece.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 10 Empty Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:18 pm

snowyflake wrote:No I'm here stu. :)I'd rather have a discussion thanks. People get far too het up on that other forum. And they play silly games which is not what I'm there for.

Anyway, back to the topic. Have never seen a ghost and do not believe they exist. I don't believe in anything paranormal. Smile
Aw Mrs S, don't use the B word, there'll be theist deriding your rejection of unevidenced paranormal claims as simple belief, they'll of course miss the irony.

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 10 Empty Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:19 pm

snowyflake wrote:There are over 30,000 Christian denominations, stu. Kind of lets you know how much rubbish Christianity and islam are when they can't even agree with each other about what god is supposed to have said.
Indeed, it also makes me wonder how an omniscient being can share a message that is so confusing it produces so many different opinions on what it wants - 30000 you claim.

Last edited by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:53 pm

well pollyfilla 30,000 c'mon then you name a 1000 of the illegitimate christian denominations you moron.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 pm

You realy should get some help in replying to posts Dr Sheldon your replies are tedious and just childish with no substance other than to attempt to turn around what is said,

I bet your mother used to take your doll away and that is why you are so childish.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:00 pm

All those who think there is not a spirit world and when not on the other kind. should try as I have said previously, have a few friends round [ that is if you have any] and take part in a few seances and then come back and say there is no spirit world
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:05 pm

you are so stupid all the time when I am trying to help a friend who is passing away from cancer as we talk. I AM OFF TO HELP HIM NOW BYE.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:24 pm

What on earth has your friend got to do with anything we are discussing.

If you have seen a partner go from 9 stone down to 4 stone and die a lingering death through cancer. leaving a distraught family including a daughter who after 27 years has not got over losing her mother, then you will have something to compare other peoples problems.

I sympathise with your own predicament, but your wife is alive, your daughter has two parents and money causes more trouble than it is worth.

All illnesses have not beeen caused by God but mankind through not adhering to what they were instructed to do.

If you were told that boiling water would scald you and you took no notice and were scalded who would you blame?.

polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:08 pm

MY WIFE IS NOT ALIVE!! AND WHO CAUSED YOUR WIFES ILLNESS?
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Blaming the fall of man, etc. on things like terminal illness is just a convenient way of excusing God from being responsible for any of the unpleasant things. It doesn't make any sense in terms of the idea of God being the ultimate designer of our universe though. Not that I believe any of that anyway....
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:25 pm

All illnesses are man made in one way or another.

Cancer is a vile form of illness, I have seen what it does but it is not God to blame.

Just look at the world today.

Every so often a new disease rears it's head and they do not come about by chance, they are caused.

Cancer was also caused by man.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:29 pm

polyglide wrote:All illnesses are man made in one way or another.

Cancer is a vile form of illness, I have seen what it does but it is not God to blame.

Just look at the world today.

Every so often a new disease rears it's head and they do not come about by chance, they are caused.

How come the the pious are no less susceptible to disease then?
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 pm

When my wife contacted cancer I was sick and thought my wife who was a devote Christian had been dealt a bad hand, I actually said to her why ? the answer was why not me, if God protected all Christians in the world they would all just become Christians for that reason.

I had every reason to doubt God but when considering all the facts and the help I had in overcoming my great loss I realised the significance of what my wife had said.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:38 pm

polyglide wrote:When my wife contacted cancer I was sick and thought my wife who was a devote Christian had been dealt a bad hand, I actually said to her why ? the answer was why not me, if God protected all Christians in the world they would all just become Christians for that reason.
But, according to you, God knows what is in people's hearts so he would see through that anyway.
I mean no disrespect to you or your wife, by the way. And I am genuinely sorry to hear about your loss. It must have been very hard to deal with. I just find the notion that disease is the fault of man a bit insulting to be honest. I don't think the world works like that. If there is a God then what sort of God is he if he doesn't apply fairness. My belief is that it is a matter of chance (albeit a very complicated matter). I have lost people I loved deeply to cancer and disease too. It is just a fact of life. Blaming it on the sins of yourself or others is, to my mind, an utterly fruitless exercise.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellatori Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm

polyglide wrote:... the answer was why not me, if God protected all Christians in the world they would all just become Christians for that reason.

I had every reason to doubt God but when considering all the facts and the help I had in overcoming my great loss I realised the significance of what my wife had said.
I wrote a joint will with my wife today. Smile  She is not keen on talking about death pale  and we certainly don't discuss philosophy of religion we simply agree to differ. Smile  Statistics suggest that I will die before my wife and I am not unhappy about that, she is a better coper than I am, though I will be seriously pissed off about actually dying Very Happy 

I read what you wrote with a certain sympathy. Loss is never easy and clearly you have worked hard to rationalise it away and make it fit with your beliefs. As an atheist I would have replied the same... 'Why not me?' Such events are simply part of life and death and the progress of humanity. The rest of the statement is totally random. It's on a par with Napoleon's 'Pour encourager les autres!?' God is happy to let a few Christians die miserably so that others don't realise there is a beneficent God and think about becoming Christian. Is that not quite bizarre?

Bellatori
Banned

http://www.bellatori.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:32 pm

polyglide wrote:... the answer was why not me,
Yeah we're all asking ourselves that question too.....

Your view of the world is extremely narrow and uneducated and childishly simplistic polyglide. You think that if we all believed in one god the world would be ok. The fact is that muslims, Christians and jews all believe in the same god yet most of the fighting is coming from that quarter.

You come here every week to argue with people that knowing god is the best way but you don't know your history or your science. You can't support your arguments with anything more meaningful than, the bible says it's true so therefore it is.

Pointless. The name calling of others can stop if you don't mind. If you can't argue sensibly, just don't bother ok? Go and take some science classes. Learn your Christian history and the atrocities wrought in the name of god.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:30 pm

polyglide,

Do you know what makes life so precious?

DEATH.

Each of us must live our life in the knowledge it may end any time, and when it comes like your dear wife, we must all say " why not me? ".

Humanity is a journey of humility.

Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm

polyglide wrote:All those who think there is not a spirit world and when not on the other kind. should try as I have said previously, have a few friends round [ that is if you have any] and take part in a few seances and then come back and say there is no spirit world
I frequently find myself in the company of many (no longer young) women that have a firm belief in the "Spirit World" and though they do not attend seances they do go to The National Spiritualist Church and they often find solace there. The fact they find solace doesn't mean that what they witnessed and experienced was what it appeared to be to them. In fact most impartial witnesses say that they saw nothing of value and what they did see and hear seemed to be the work of charlatans.

I would of thought that if you wanted to provide people with first hand evidence for the spirit world then you might of suggested that people sit quietly and still for one hour and to then come back here and explain what they experienced. I suspect that most would of described either falling asleep or a profound experience of self that is difficult to describe.

Heretic

Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:18 pm

polyglide wrote:All illnesses are man made in one way or another.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:That's not true.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:Of course I agree, but I agree because no god exists. However if you are a Christian who believes an omnipotent and omniscient deity created everything then it is 100% culpable for all disease, including cancer, that's axiomatic.
Just look at the world today. Every so often a new disease rears it's head and they do not come about by chance, they are caused.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:Almost as if life in a constant state of evolution, uh oh, see what you've done there don't you?
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:Random mutations are a part of evolution, the vast majority are not beneficial, you really ought to read a little about evolution, seriously.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 pm

polyglide wrote:You realy should get some help in replying to posts Dr Sheldon your replies are tedious and just childish with no substance other than to attempt to turn around what is said,

I bet your mother used to take your doll away and that is why you are so childish.
You're calling my posts childish whilst making the most puerile of personal attacks, again, any chance you can see how that looks? I guess the post was too difficult for you, so you just lashed out again. As for tedious posts well there's a fairly large consensus on here about yours, care to cogitate on that? Now would you care to enlighten us all as to why there are 3000 (your own figure) different views just by Christians of what their god wants, if he's both omniscient and omnipotent then such an obviously confusing message takes some explaining, or would you prefer to throw your toys out of your pram again?

Last edited by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 am

God chooses to remain hidden to create doubt, he then gives us free will to dispel this doubt, it makes sense if you are on crack.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:59 pm

I Will certainly stop telling the truth about idiotic replies to the points I make, Snowyflake, do you actually understand that it is the right of anyone to respond in kind, if others do the same.

I thought and hoped you had got lost on some other site as your contributions on this subject is frivoluos.

I asked Dr Sheldon to explain axactly why I was wrong regarding the only means of proving that you can obtain something from nothing, I am still waiting.

I asked those who think there are no spirits to try the seances, I am still waiting.

I am more familiar with the bible than you, I can quote anything you like from it, all I have to do is click a button on any subject within. and that would not mean you inderstand or have the intelligence to appreciate it.

I deal in reality and original thought and not on the ideas and theories of others.

Facts I will agree with, theories are just that.

So get your own act together.

polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm Deplume Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 pm

polyglide wrote:
I asked those who think there are no spirits to try the seances, I am still waiting.
You will have to wait a mighty long time before sane adults start indulging in silly magic rituals.

polyglide wrote:I am more familiar with the bible than you, I can quote anything you like from it, all I have to do is click a button on any subject within. and that would not mean you inderstand or have the intelligence to appreciate it.
You have done nothing to suggest that you might have the intelligence and understanding either, But I doubt that will make any difference to your pretence that you see your own deficiencies in others.

polyglide wrote:
I deal in reality and original thought and not on the ideas and theories of others.

There is something of a disconnect between this statement and studing the Bible.

Norm Deplume
Norm Deplume

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost? - Page 10 Empty anyone seen a ghost

Post by stuart torr Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 pm

ok polyglide without using the pc or having the bible right in front of you post to us all straight away a saying from the bible.I will say the matthew or which ok.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Excellent, science considers common ancestry an evidence based fact, so you now agree you are descended from primates.

Cheers.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:47 pm

c'mon pollyfilla, you know more about the bible than myself, do you not? joshua chapter 4 verse3;23
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:37 pm

polyglide wrote:I deal in reality and original thought and not on the ideas and theories of others.
Apparently the Bible is only as old as polyglide since it is quite obvious he wrote the entire book. How else could polyglide not be guilty of advocating the "ideas and theories" of others?

What never ceases to amaze me is how anyone can continue making the same argument (such as the "original thought" argument) when it is so flagrantly, obviously, inequivocally, and transparently hypocritical.

How can ANYONE trying to make a coherent rebuttal say something like, "You're just parroting stuff from a science book, so unless you can come up with your own science, you're just quoting others. Now, you really should do what it is written in the Bible ...."

Are you effing serious?

I can only assume that you're being willfully ignorant about this point - which has nothing to do with religion, by the way. What this has to do with is intellectual honesty, something you apparently lack. I do find the irony a bit thick considering you're the one talking about the "evils of atheists" while failing abysmally to even maintain honesty in a forum debate. In fact, your version of Christianity isn't even original. There is even a specific name for those who believe as you do - Apocolyptic Christians, or simply Apocolyptics. Therefore, you cannot invalidate evolutionists by claiming they don't have original thoughts and then counter them with ... unoriginal thoughts.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm

polyglide wrote:I deal in reality and original thought and not on the ideas and theories of others.

Good. Evolution is a fact. Yet you refuse to accept that it is. You say it is just a 'theory'. No it's not 'just' a theory. It is a theory supported by evidence that is overwhelming. The fact that you don't know that is a testament to your ignorance. It's not the fault of the theory that you are not well-versed in it.

Is the theory of gravity 'just' a theory too? Is quantum theory 'just' a theory?

The truth of your reality is that if it doesn't jive with the NT you just ignore it and that is the sign of a weak mind.

Of course you can post here but you're about as Christian and christlike as my dog. (Actually my dog is much nicer) Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Any dog would be nicer Snowy no offence, in fact I believe any animal non-human would be nicer, and have more brains.Laughing 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Allow me to introduce you to the mindset of a Creationist, it goes like this:

If something cannot be observed in an experiment, it is just an opinion.

They do not care if science thinks otherwise because that too is only an opinion, and science has been wrong before.

Something cannot come from nothing so our existence proves God MUST exist.

So science is not allowed to make logical deductions but Creationists can, it is called intellectual dishonesty, and I do not believe for one minute those that peddle this shit to uneducated and gullible people like polyglide, really believe their own propaganda. Creation Science/Intelligent Design is an American concept, and it will come as no surprise it is a multi-multi billion dollar industry, with 100 million customers in America alone.
This industry spends 20 million dollars every year funding blatant misinformation to maintain their customer base, rather than use it to help the poor, the Bible Belt is a religious gold mine, and everyone in this industry is making a very healthy living.

Go onto the internet and you will drown in anti-evolutionary material and books, they have created a controversy that to any sane mind should not exist.

In secular America. religion is run by private enterprises for PROFIT, make no mistake this is blatant mislabeling, and they are not governed by any advertising standard because they are selling Christianity. If I was selling anything else using statements that blatantly contradicted science, I would be stopped, not with religion.

It is simply immoral to promote lies to the weakest in society to make money, they are an offense to orthodox Christianity, it reminds me of pre-Reformation Christianity, corrupt to the core.

Do you really believe the intelligent people who run this industry are stupid enough to believe their own spin?

No chance, more like 21 st century Elmer Gantry.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 pm

polyglide wrote:I agree that all religions are disputable, I also agree that there are many false religions, that is why I looked at them all and found all but Christianity lacking.
So you say, but when you were pressed for even a list of the Christian variants you have responded with an endless rant, attacking me personally and completely ignoring the question, claiming instead I have not disproved an assumption you made, as if it's up to everyone to prove your claims wrong, rather than you prove them right, hilarious.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:31 pm

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:
polyglide wrote:Religion in no way disputes the existance of spirits, both evil and otherwise and there are far too many examples of people dabbling in such matters and being frightened out of their wits not to appreciate the fact.
I do  wish theists would not bandy the word fact around without due deference. Now could you point to two scientific papers establishing the existence of ANYTHING metaphysical, that have been published in scientific journals worthy of note, and peer reviewed thus validating their  conclusions.

Take your time.....Wink
Now here's a question you've not answered Polly, and it's on page 2 of this thread, so far no questions from you.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 pm

polyglide wrote:If you do not believe it try it and see.
If I do not believe what, try what and see? :scratch:If this is Marmite again.....No 
Here's a second question you've not answered Polly, tut tut.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:36 pm

polyglide wrote:Dan, man thinks he is.

I also have the chemist coming round to borrow some of my pills,
Stu, but the reason I do not indulge is because I do not like the taste.
I'm a man and I entertain no such thoughts or assertions. Specifically which men are you tallking about, and can we have some evidence this time please? Wink 
Well now here's a third question of mine you've completely ignored, so bleating is rather hypocritical.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 pm

polyglide wrote:The proof of evil spirits being the evil that one can find in every aspect of life today.

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:Evil is just a human concept, the fact we interpret things as evil doesn't prove anything, it doesn't even prove evil exists, just that we attribute a word to certain behaviours to help us understand it. 1Is a Lion evil when it eats another animal alive?
Man has let himself be fooled into letting the evil spirits loose.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:2Ho hum, evidence please, and no, glibly stating that evil exists is not evidence.
There has been an experiment involving the readers of a newspaper participating in a seance. The results indicate strongly that spirits do exist.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:3Which scientific journal published the research and it's findings? What are the results of it being  scientifically peer reviewed? News flash for you, newspapers have been known to lie in order to increase revenue. Wink 
One person involved said he was frightened that although he had a reply to what he was requesting, he was, although not religious or believed in ghosts etc;  was fearful that he had released an evil spirit.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:People claim to be Napoleon Bonaparte, I tend to be dubious of fantastic claims until they've been reasonably evidenced.  
This was not an isolated case as many others had similar experiences.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:A lot of people claim they've met Elvis, it's not an isolated incident, you see where I'm going with this I hope.

3 more questions in there you've not answered, bringing the total to 6, Polly.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:46 pm

polyglide wrote:Name 1000.
Well actually you claimed to have studied them all, so why not just post a definitive list?
Number 7, and you had the temerity to accuse me of never answering a question, ho hum...
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:47 pm

polyglide wrote:Name 1000.
Well actually you claimed to have studied them all, so why not just post a definitive list?
How's that list shaping Polly?
A second request for question number 7 to be answered, of course you've not answered it.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:48 pm

polyglide wrote:There is no need for any evidence regarding evolution, it is a fact.

There is absolutely no evidence that evolution created anything.
Show one post, by anyone, suggesting that evolution created anything. All you're doing is showing your ignorance of evolution.
Question Number 8, and guess what? Yes that's right, you never answered this one either.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:33 am

just because you cannot understand an explanation does not mean I have not given one.

When I said I had considered all the other religions ,I had, all those that were applicable to this particular time and established.

The explanation I gave was that if I was to decide which live show I was going to attend for entetainment, I would not consider going to a gladiator shoot out nor to see Chritians eaten by lions but obviously the point was lost on you.

One post in particular suggested that life was created from a little pool with wriggly things in it.

polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:34 am

Also please take note that spelling errors are not typing errors and visa versa.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:38 am

polyglide wrote:
When I said I had considered all the other religions ,I had, all those that were applicable to this particular time and established.
If you didn't examine all religions, how were you able to make a judgement as to whether or not they were applicable to the present?
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm Deplume Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 am

polyglide wrote:Also please take note that spelling errors are not typing errors and visa versa.
Fair enough. Typing errors are where you know how to spell the words but hit the wrong keys. Spelling errors are where you do not know how to spell the word and make a guess or use a homophone.

Which of these was the case with "vice versa" (note correct spelling) in your post?

Norm Deplume
Norm Deplume

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next