Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To hate Jews is to hate God

+22
Dan Fante
stuart torr
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
starlight07
skwalker1964
Ivan
Deadly Nightshade
methought
astradt1
bobby
boatlady
Jsmythe
Phil Hornby
snowyflake
Tosh
astra
Shirina
trevorw2539
polyglide
tlttf
oftenwrong
Greatest I am
26 posters

Page 12 of 24 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 24  Next

Go down

To hate Jews is to hate God - Page 12 Empty To hate Jews is to hate God

Post by Greatest I am Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

To hate Jews is to hate God.

If you believe in the sacrifice of Jesus, then you must believe that God planned for it and set the conditions even before the earth was formed. If as most believe, the Jews were the cause of the sacrifice, then one must believe that God put the notion and desire to kill Jesus in the Jewish hearts. Jews then were God’s tools in carrying out God’s plan. Jews then should be venerated just as Jesus is because Jesus and Jews were required and caused by God to participate in the sacrifice. They were all doing God’s will and not their own.

Jesus was a Jew and to hate Jews means that Jesus is also hated. The church has historically persecuted Jews and only repented for their actions in 2011 with the pope acknowledging that not all Jews should be hated. Just those directly involved in the sacrifice of Jesus. Ignoring of course that they were charged directly by God to be and do what God wanted.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/jews-not-responsible-for-death-of-christ-pope-says-49267/

Why then have Christians historically hated Jews, and by inference, hate the Jew part of God/Jesus the Jew?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKg4HLsu5gE&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ott15j2KwQ&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHP-f-_F9U

The weird twist to this history is that the Christian right who hates Jews the most, is now the ones pushing for funding of the Jewish homeland to fulfill prophesy.

Most Jews do not believe that Jesus was the messiah. Is the Christian right just funding Jews to help drive them to destruction at the hands of God?

Jews tend not to read the O. T. the way Christians do. Are Christian interpretations of Jewish text superior or inferior to the Jewish interpretation of their own myths?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Greatest I am

Back to top Go down

To hate Jews is to hate God - Page 12 Empty Re: To hate Jews is to hate God

Post by oftenwrong Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Not much there about the Diaspora, Tosh.

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Shirina, just what planet are you on, it certainly is not this one.

The planet I'm on actually contains logic which, in a way, proves you correct since I do not inhabit your planet - the one where logic is cast aside for religious nonsense.

The fact that their has been loss of life is in no way relative to the state the world is in at this time.

Bullshit. Stop moving the goal posts around, polyglide. You are CONSTANTLY harping on things like nuclear weapons and wars, both of which have to do with loss of life. The medicine I take for my painful neuropathy was invented in 1926. I shudder to think what my life would have been like if I had lived before that date and had this condition. I probably would have killed myself by now. Even if I were to ignore every other aspect of history (as you always do), that ALONE is enough for me to say without any reservation: NO! The world was NOT better in the past. End of story.

There has never ever been the potential for the destruction of mankind and the earth

Wait, I thought you said that "loss of life is in no way relative to the state of the world at this time." (*looks up at your quote*) Yep, you DID say that. Therefore, the "potential for the destruction of mankind" is in no way relative [sic] to the state of the world at this time. Sorry.

I can give many, by the click of the mouse all the previous wars and all manner of loss of life which is TOTTALLY IRRELEVANT.

Oh, I get it. Past wars are irrelevant. Only future wars that may or may not happen are relevant. Do you know what a comparison is, by any chance?

History is just that, history.

How do you know that the world is in such bad shape if you haven't compared today with other eras in history? I would REALLY like to know how you arrived at your conclusion without using past events.

I'm also still waiting for you to tell me what past era would be idea to live in.

And I could quote history all day and it would not change the present state of the world.

This isn't about "changing" the present state of the world. It's about you trying to convince me that this is the worst time to be living in. So far, you've done a miserable job.

When was the best time to be living in?

I do not know how you work out and on what basis you think forrests were created.

Why were forests created, then?

Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Not much there about the Diaspora, Tosh.

Probably because it is irrelevant to the point being made, Jews were taxed and recorded as Jews wherever they were in the Empire not just Judea.

I am not sure what the Diaspora has to do with universal literacy claims, care to enlighten me ?

Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Assessing the literacy rate in modern society is very easily accomplished
but the answer to this question in antiquity is the other way around.
Nonetheless, this percentage is reflected in one of the rules in Soferim
11:2 (ed. Higger, p. 218):
A town in which there is only one who reads; he stands up, reads (the
Torah), and sits down, he stands up, reads and sits down, even seven
times.
Edited because of a serious breach of our copyright rules. Ivan.

Last edited by Tosh on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:22 pm

What is the probability that an uneducated fisherman called John could write sophisticated Greek ?

What are the chances he lived until he was in his 80s or 90s when the average life expectancy was under 50 ?

Why did he wait so long and why did he not identify himself as the author ?

Why is his account so different to the 3 Synoptic Gospels written decades earlier ?

A reasonable mind would question the authenticity and accuracy of John's works, but no, there are maniacs who believe everything is literally true, but they call themselves scholars.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:09 pm

I never understood why no contemporary historian wrote about Jesus during his lifetime and ministry if he was such the big deal? The gospels claim he was known far and wide, yet not one Roman or Greek or Jewish historian wrote about him. Not a single scroll or manuscript has been found that documents his existence? Why didn't Jesus write his own scroll?

As Jesus was a carpenter, it was unlikely that he could read or write.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I never understood why no contemporary historian wrote about Jesus during his lifetime and ministry if he was such the big deal?

Jesus wasn't a big deal, it is claimed he appeared before 500 witnesses which is about 0.001% of the estimated population. Saul made him a big deal by re-inventing the Jesus myth and flogging it to pagans who didn't know nor care about Jewish theology, as far as they were concerned he was a demi-god that was coming back to free them all from slavery and sin, its not called " Pauline Christianity " for nothing.

A few years back I looked at the historical evidence of Christians being persecuted, and it is pretty thin on the ground. I believe initially they were considered by the Romans to be Jews, and the Romans didn't like Jews.

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the martyrdom was pure invention.

Moss, professor of New Testament and early Christianity at the University of Notre Dame, challenges some of the most hallowed legends of the religion when she questions what she calls “the Sunday school narrative of a church of martyrs, of Christians huddled in catacombs out of fear, meeting in secret to avoid arrest and mercilessly thrown to lions merely for their religious beliefs.” None of that, she maintains, is true. In the 300 years between the death of Jesus and the conversion of the Emperor Constantine, there were maybe 10 or 12 scattered years during which Christians were singled out for supression by Rome’s imperial authorities, and even then the enforcement of such initiatives was haphazard — lackadaisical in many regions, although harsh in others. “Christians were never,” Moss writes, “the victims of sustained, targeted persecution.”
Moss also examines surviving Roman records. She notes that during the only concerted anti-Christian Roman campaign, under the emperor Diocletian between 303 and 306, Christians were expelled from public offices. Their churches, such as the one in Nicomedia, across the street from the imperial palace, were destroyed. Yet, as Moss points out, if the Christians were holding high offices in the first place and had built their church “in the emperor’s own front yard,” they could hardly have been in hiding away in catacombs before Diocletian issued his edicts against them.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/24/the_myth_of_persecution_early_christians_werent_persecuted/

Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Nightshade Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Shirina wrote:
Between the years 1348 and 1350, bubonic plague, 200 million dead. (This number doesn't count the untold thousands who were murdered in a religious panic)

Estimated death toll for this period is between 25 - 50 million not 200 million as you have stated Shirina. Having a keen Anthropological/Sociological interest in how diseases are dealt within different cultures over the ages is something I focused part of course at Uni on.

Shirina wrote:
Explain to me, please, how people "misused" the bubonic plague in 1348 that caused the Black Death.

Not to split hairs on this here but the view that the bubonic plague lead into or is 1 in the same as The Black Death, is highly contentious to say the least, to many opposing arguments to say categorically, not to mention strong theories of the difference in the rate of the spread of both diseases and symptoms.
Deadly Nightshade
Deadly Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Some of the views expressed on this thread have been copyright since the 14th. Century.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Black Death and Bubonic plague were caused by the same bacteria, Yersinia pestis. They were just different manifestations of the same disease.

One source states between 75-200 million dead from plague between 1348-1350. I suppose it depends on where you get your facts from DN.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Some of the views expressed on this thread have been copyright since the 14th. Century.

Whereas you my friend are a sage of original thought

You must sharpen up on your pretentious condescension, it is becoming immature, not cool my friend, not cool.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 pm

Tosh. What isn’t ‘cool’ is putting the future of this forum, not to mention the bank balances of its administrators, at risk by seriously flouting the copyright laws. Quotations of 36 and 31 lines respectively represent a serious breach of our ‘safety’ guidelines, which can be found on both of the following threads:-

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk/t137-copyright-concerns

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk/t645-staff-notices-for-members

Please ensure that any future quotations do not exceed 14-15 lines, unless they are taken from Wikipedia.
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Nightshade Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 am

snowyflake wrote:Black Death and Bubonic plague were caused by the same bacteria, Yersinia pestis. They were just different manifestations of the same disease.

One source states between 75-200 million dead from plague between 1348-1350. I suppose it depends on where you get your facts from DN.

There's another perspective that due to the difference between plagues The Black death was caused by another agent which closer resembles that of Ebola virus based upon historical descriptions. In regard to the death toll no exact amount is obviously known but most speculate its around the 75 million mark world wide.

Deadly Nightshade
Deadly Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:08 am

Tosh. What isn’t ‘cool’ is putting the future of this forum, not to mention the bank balances of its administrators, at risk by seriously flouting the copyright laws. Quotations of 36 and 31 lines respectively represent a serious breach of our ‘safety’ guidelines, which can be found on both of the following threads:-

You are on ignore, go away and annoy someone else.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:10 am

[Wikipedia’s Terms of Use, effective 25 May 2012, states “You are free to: Read and Print our articles and other media free of charge. Share and Reuse our articles and other media under free and open licenses. Full texts of Terms of Use available below.]
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Bubonic plague
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bubonic plague is a zoonotic disease, circulating mainly among small rodents and their fleas,[1] and is one of three types of bacterial infections caused by Yersinia pestis (formerly known as Pasteurella pestis), which belongs to the family Enterobacteriaceae. Without treatment, the bubonic plague kills about two thirds of infected humans within 4 days.

The term bubonic plague is derived from the Greek word βουβών, meaning "groin." Swollen lymph nodes (buboes) especially occur in the armpit and groin in persons suffering from bubonic plague. Bubonic plague was often used synonymously for plague, but it does in fact refer specifically to an infection that enters through the skin and travels through the lymphatics, as is often seen in flea-borne infections.

Bubonic plague—along with the septicemic plague and the pneumonic plague, which are the two other manifestations of Y. pestis—is generally believed to be the cause of the Black Death that swept through Europe in [u]the 14th century b and killed an estimated 25 million peoplea, or 30–60% of the European population. a[2] Because the plague killed so many of the working population, wages rose and some historians have seen this as a turning point in European economic development.[3][4]

Early outbreaks

The first recorded epidemic ravaged the Byzantine Empire during the sixth century, and was named the Plague of Justinian after emperor Justinian I, who was infected but survived through extensive treatment.[11][12] The epidemic is estimated to have killed approximately 50 million people in the Roman Empire alone.[13] The historian Procopius wrote, in Volume II of History of the Wars, his encounter with the plague and the effect it had on the rising empire. In the spring of 542, the plague arrived in Constantinople, working its way from port city to port city and spreading through the Mediterranean, later migrating inland eastward into Asia Minor and west into Greece and Italy. Because the infectious disease spread inland by the transferring of merchandise through Justinian’s efforts in acquiring luxurious goods of the time and exporting supplies, his capital became the leading exporter of the Bubonic plague. Procopius, in his work Secret History, declared that Justinian was a demon of an emperor who either created the plague himself or was being punished for his sinfulness.[13]

Black Death

In the Late Middle Ages (1340-1400)b Europe experienced the most deadly disease outbreak in Western history when the Black Death, the infamous pandemic of bubonic plague, hit in 1347,b killing a third of the human population.a It is commonly believed that society subsequently became more violent as the mass mortality rate cheapened life and thus increased warfare, crime, popular revolt, waves of flagellants, and persecution.[14] The Black Death originated in or near China and spread from Italy and then throughout other European countries. Research published in 2002 suggests that it began in the spring of 1346 in the steppe region, where a plague reservoir stretches from the north-western shore of the Caspian Sea into southern Russia. The Mongols had cut off the trade route, the Silk Road, between China and Europe which halted the spread of the Black Death from eastern Russia to Western Europe. The epidemic began with an attack that Mongols launched on the Italian merchant's last trading station in the region, Caffa in the Crimea.[9] In the autumn of 1346, plague broke out among the besiegers and from them penetrated into the town. When spring arrived, the Italian merchants fled on their ships, unknowingly carrying the Black Death. Carried by the fleas on rats, the plague initially spread to humans near the Black Sea and then outwards to the rest of Europe as a result of people fleeing from one area to another.

There were many ethno-medical beliefs of prevention methods for avoiding the Black Death. One of the most famous ideas was that by walking around with flowers in or around their nose people would be able to "ward off the stench and perhaps the evil that afflicted them." There were also many religious prevention methods. One such method used was to carve the symbol of the cross onto the front door of a house with the words "Lord have mercy on us" near it.[15]

Pistoia, a city in Italy, even went as far as enacting rules and regulations on the city and its inhabitants to keep it safe from the Black Death. The rules stated that no one was allowed to visit any plague-infected area and if they did they were not allowed back into the city. Some other rules were that no linen or woollen goods were to be imported into the city and no corpses were to be buried in the city. However, despite strict enforcement of the rules, the city eventually became infected.[16]

While Europe was devastated by the disease, the rest of the world fared much better. In India, populations rose from a population of 91 million in 1300, to 97 million in 1400, to 105 million in 1500. Also sub-Saharan Africa remained largely unaffected by the plagues.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Terms of Use (Wikipedia), effective May 25, 2012

You are free to:

● Read and Print our articles and other media free of charge.
● Share and Reuse our articles and other media under free and open licenses.

Terms of Use, full legal text: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use_(2012)/en#Our_Terms_of_Use

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. “25 million people”, “30–60% of the European population”, “a third of the human population”.
  2. “the 14th century”, “1340-1400”, “1347”.

30% times 83,333,333 equals 25,000,000; 1/3 times 75,000,000 equals 25,000,000; 60% times 41,666,667 equals 25,000,000.

Shirina wrote:
Between the years 1348 and 1350, bubonic plague, 200 million dead. (This number doesn't count the untold thousands who were murdered in a religious panic)

According to data extracted from the above-quoted Wikipedia article, retrieved 27 April 2013 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague, the population of Europe circa 1340-1400 was 41,666,667 to 83,333,333 or 75,000,000.

I doubt that “25 million people”, “30–60% of the European population”, “a third of the human population”, “the 14th century”, “1340-1400”, or “1347” could be identified, described, or characterized as “semantics.”

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:22 am

According to data extracted from the above-quoted Wikipedia article, retrieved 27 April 2013 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague, the population of Europe circa 1340-1400 was 41,666,667 to 83,333,333 or 75,000,000.

You forgot that the plague started in the Far East, probably in China. Therefore, the 200 million figure also includes Asia, not just Europeans.

I never said anything about semantics.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:30 am

Estimated death toll for this period is between 25 - 50 million not 200 million as you have stated Shirina.

I worry that my original point to polyglide is going to become lost in debates over the exact death toll or which bacterium caused the Black Death.

Even if the death toll was "only" 75 million, I wouldn't want to live in those times. Would you? It just goes to show polyglide that the world HAS been in more dire straits than it is today.

In addition, since polyglide claims that diseases are all humanity's fault due to "misuse" of whatever micro-organism caused the Black Death, I would still like to know how, precisely, humanity "misused" that which they didn't even know existed in 1348.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:43 am

Shirina wrote:
You forgot that the plague started in the Far East, probably in China. Therefore, the 200 million figure also includes Asia, not just Europeans.

I forgot nothing. I extracted data from this source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

This is fact, which you may independently verify if you so choose here: https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk/t575p450-to-hate-jews-is-to-hate-god#39554

Shirina wrote:
I never said anything about semantics.

I have quoted nothing that you have said in text authored by me in my posted message here: https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk/t575p450-to-hate-jews-is-to-hate-god#39554
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:43 am

Bubonic plague

There were many ethno-medical beliefs of prevention methods for avoiding the Black Death. One of the most famous ideas was that by walking around with flowers in or around their nose people would be able to "ward off the stench and perhaps the evil that afflicted them." There were also many religious prevention methods. One such method used was to carve the symbol of the cross onto the front door of a house with the words "Lord have mercy on us" near it.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

"Sally Go 'Round the Roses" - The Jaynetts
http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/BSGtXv2fO-I?ytsession=lw8wYLV0S0hsp__zBTDVKjW5HA8IfWgXf4WjUi8Yfwn--4a3rmEUgAPObVY1AWaiiYOXUmhRKjizh07mi6rMlfU80eeOXMvr7rHzraiU-tqZTsQQ3NGZU9HznuyfZrZGsGtcJ_8VmWPayEg0wGAwLw

Sally Go 'Round the Roses

"Sally Go 'Round the Roses" is the name of a 1963 hit by The Jaynetts, a Bronx-based one-hit wonder girl group, released by J&S Records on the Tuff label.

In the summer of 1963, Spector asked J&S owner, Zelma "Zell" Sanders, to assemble a vocal ensemble to record a girl group style record to which end Sanders wrote the song "Sally Go 'Round the Roses," with Spector's wife Lona Stevens, drawing inspiration from the nursery rhyme "Ring Around the Rosie." The songwriting copyright for "Sally Go 'Round the Roses" is now in the name Abner Spector who died in 2010; Zell Sanders died in 1976.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Go_%27Round_the_Roses
Ring a Ring o' Roses

"Ring a Ring o' Roses" or "Ring Around the Rosie" is a nursery rhyme or folksong and playground singing game. It first appeared in print in 1881, but it is reported that a version was already being sung to the current tune in the 1790s and similar rhymes are known from across Europe. It has a Roud Folk Song Index number of 7925. Urban legend says the song originally described the plague, but folklorists reject this idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_a_Ring_o%27_Roses
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 am

I doubt that “25 million people”, “30–60% of the European population”, “a third of the human population”, “the 14th century”, “1340-1400”, or “1347” could be identified, described, or characterized as “semantics.”

You mentioned semantics, Rock. What do you mean?
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:17 am

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:23 am

That's because on previous occasions your content was semantics. However on this occasion you are quoting wikipedia so these are not your own words or interpretation or playing around with the meanings, spelling, grammar of words so you are correct that this post is not characterised as 'semantics'.

Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Just reading the religion board for the first time (kind of pining for the bygone days when I didn't have to!). But wondering how any of the recent posts are even tangentially related to the thread title? Or have we, by common consent, agreed to let this one run where it will?
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Conversations go walkabout sometimes. The originator of the thread hasn't been around to keep us on track so we tend to wander a bit. Would you like to come back to the topic?

I don't hate Jews or anyone for that matter. I intensely dislike religion, the concept of God, Islam and misogyny, war and consumerism and capitalism that squashes the 'little guy' trying to make a living, the greedy banking sector, the greedy religious sector and governments which are just systems to funnel money from those of us barely getting by to those of them with far too much.

Not necessarily in that order. Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Just reading the religion board for the first time (kind of pining for the bygone days when I didn't have to!). But wondering how any of the recent posts are even tangentially related to the thread title? Or have we, by common consent, agreed to let this one run where it will?

As soon as you put the word " God " into any thread title then everything is by definition tangentially related, you are obviously not a theist.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm

But wondering how any of the recent posts are even tangentially related to the thread title? Or have we, by common consent, agreed to let this one run where it will?

Hello, Steve:

I tend to play it fast and loose when it comes to sticking to the thread topic. Conversations need room to flow, expand, and transmorgrify into whatever the participants are willing to discuss. I know from years of experience on forums that if a person has to stop and post a new thread whenever a new point is brought up, rarely does the new thread receive much attention. I just make sure no one is trying to derail a thread topic or otherwise hijack it with a completely irrelevant topic. If someone started a discussion on who has the best football team, then yeah, it would be time to put this thread back on track. As long as the discussion stays within the boundaries of the forum category (religion), I don't worry too much if the discussion strays away from the original thread topic.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm

transmorgrify

Stop showing off your semantics.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 pm

As I may have remarked elsewhere, over the course of time all threads become the same thread, because people mainly draw on their personal thoughts and experiences, which are obviously quite ingrained in an adult.

On our Cutting Edge Board, the category " Religion And Related Issues " comprises 49 separate threads.

Has anyone considered whether a degree of amalgamation might be helpful?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:08 pm

UK Politics has 69 threads.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 pm

On our Cutting Edge Board, the category " Religion And Related Issues " comprises 49 separate threads. Has anyone considered whether a degree of amalgamation might be helpful?

Ohhh Kayyy then. How about an amalgamation of the various Hissy-fits being conducted between esteemed contributors on various very similar threads?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:55 pm

A forum is primarily for discussion, and Shirina doesn't want to do anything which might curtail that. I suggest that may be the most important issue here.

I can see the point that if all threads are going to converge, we may as well just have one entitled 'religion' and have all of the discussion on that subject in one place. In fact, I thought that the 'evidence for the existence of God' thread, which first appeared at MSN and was then transposed to the original Cutting Edge and various other forums, was for just that purpose...... Shocked

I think this is an issue which the staff should discuss, while the rest of you continue enjoying your exchanges. In my book, serious breaches of copyright are far more important and will not be tolerated, whether anyone chooses to ignore me or not. Messages which contain quotations exceeding the 14-15 line limit will be deleted and may well result in sanctions against the poster.
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:06 pm

I think this is an issue which the staff should discuss, while the rest of you continue enjoying your exchanges.

Reduce it to 3 threads:

A god thread.

A butterfly thread.

A thread without vowels.

In my book, serious breaches of copyright are far more important and will not be tolerated, whether anyone chooses to ignore me or not. Messages which contain quotations exceeding the 14-15 line limit will be deleted and may well result in sanctions against the poster.

* la la la la la la *

study
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Ohhh Kayyy then. How about an amalgamation of the various Hissy-fits being conducted between esteemed contributors on various very similar threads?

As long as we keep a thread for your hissy fits, I am good.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Why does it matter how many threads there are in the religion category? I fail to see why this is even worthy of discussion among the staff or anyone else, for that matter. The number of threads here is not going to somehow topple Cutting Edge over a cyber cliff and then off we fall into the ether never to be seen or heard from again. Every forum I have EVER participated in - going all the way back to the BBS days on Vax machines - forums have operated in precisely the same way. Threads are created, some become popular, others sink off the front page. Discussion will inevitably stray from the original topic of the thread just like conversations in the real world. Wouldn't it suck if, in the real world, we had to stop and change rooms or go to a different restaurant or different bar/pub every time the conversation changed? And wouldn't equally suck if someone decided, in the real world, that thousands of bars and pubs feature people talking about, say, politics and religion, so why have thousands of pubs? Let's just have one big pub and cram everyone who wants to talk about religion and politics into a single building!

The point here is that, whether in real life or in cyber space, we are all humans here (I would hope) and we are going to behave like humans do. I will NEVER amalgamate all the religion threads into one giant furball because there's no reason to - and people will STILL create other religion threads because they want their point to stand out from the pack and be discussed separately from whatever's being talked about in the big furball thread. And guess what! The new thread will stray off topic and whatnot like they always do. Why? Because we're human and our social behavior is governed by our humanity.

For the record, I am extremely tired, even irritated, at this "push" to keep everyone straitjacketed by thread titles and these complaints that similar (but not IDENTICAL) discussions are going on parallel in different threads. WHO CARES? What difference does it make? Moreoever, this "push" only seems to occur in the religion category and nowhere else on this forum. Now, why is THAT, I wonder?

There is no reason whatsoever to change how the religion section is set up nor is there a reason to change how we decide to discuss things here. Therefore it isn't GOING to change. That means there's no longer a point to complaining about it.

End of story, once and for all.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 pm

For the record, I am extremely tired, even irritated, at this "push" to keep everyone straitjacketed by thread titles and these complaints that similar (but not IDENTICAL) discussions are going on parallel in different threads. WHO CARES? What difference does it make? Moreoever, this "push" only seems to occur in the religion category and nowhere else on this forum. Now, why is THAT, I wonder?

The reason is obvious, I am not a commie, they let me in thinking all atheists were screaming Marxists, well Ayn Rand and I are not.

we are all humans here (I would hope)

polyglide is not a human, trust me.

Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 pm

On no previous occasions has my content been “semantics.”

The comparison between the Big Bang Theory and Genesis 1:1 is based on pure semantics.

Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:03 pm

We lost a thread because a troll called ftnwrng kept posting guff, I propose he should be forced to post without using vowels in future.

Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:12 pm

On no previous occasions has my content been “semantics.”

Your exposition about YHWH and Jehovah is all about semantics. You are discussing the letter 'j' and non-existant vowels. It don't get any more semantic than that.

snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:02 pm

My exposition of YHWH and Jehovah is not “semantics”; my exposition of YHWH and Jehovah is exposition

Your exposition is about the semantics of YHWH and Jehovah.

Semantics (from Ancient Greek: σημαντικός sēmantikós)[1][2] is the study of meaning. It focuses on the relation between signifiers, like words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotation.
Linguistic semantics is the study of meaning that is used for understanding human expression through language. Other forms of semantics include the semantics of programming languages, formal logics, and semiotics.
The word semantics itself denotes a range of ideas, from the popular to the highly technical. It is often used in ordinary language for denoting a problem of understanding that comes down to word selection or connotation. This problem of understanding has been the subject of many formal enquiries, over a long period of time, most notably in the field of formal semantics. In linguistics, it is the study of interpretation of signs or symbols used in agents or communities within particular circumstances and contexts.[3] Within this view, sounds, facial expressions, body language, and proxemics have semantic (meaningful) content, and each comprises several branches of study. In written language, things like paragraph structure and punctuation bear semantic content; other forms of language bear other semantic content.[3]
The formal study of semantics intersects with many other fields of inquiry, including lexicology, syntax, pragmatics, etymology and others, although semantics is a well-defined field in its own right, often with synthetic properties.[4] In philosophy of language, semantics and reference are closely connected. Further related fields include philology, communication, and semiotics. The formal study of semantics is therefore complex.
Semantics contrasts with syntax, the study of the combinatorics of units of a language (without reference to their meaning), and pragmatics, the study of the relationships between the symbols of a language, their meaning, and the users of the language.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 24 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 24  Next