Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What future will the Lib Dems have by 2015?

+36
Deadly Nightshade
Bellatori
ghost whistler
boatlady
skwalker1964
methought
cybercheshired
Tosh
tlttf
Shirina
Bunnyrunner
KnarkyBadger
Mel
astradt1
Red Cat Woman
Papaumau
Adele Carlyon
jackthelad
Blamhappy
AwfulTruth
blueturando
betty.noire
astra
trevorw2539
LWS
sickchip
Ivan
witchfinder
bobby
keenobserver1
Redflag
Stox 16
oftenwrong
Phil Hornby
Penderyn
Ivanhoe
40 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

What future will the Lib Dems have by 2015?   - Page 8 Empty When do you think there will be a leadership challenge in the Lib Dems?

Post by Ivanhoe Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

The Lib-Dems will not let Nick Clegg lead them into the next general election because Clegg will definitely be a liability.

The Lib-Dems won't have their leadership challenge too near the general election because this will be seen as a vote grabber.

The Lib-Dems must have their leadership challenge ages before the next general election to be seen as a genuine change of leadership.

So, when do you think their leadership challenge will be ?
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

What future will the Lib Dems have by 2015?   - Page 8 Empty Re: What future will the Lib Dems have by 2015?

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Democracy can make uneasy bedfellows of the most unlikely "allies".

The difference between Government and Opposition is enormous. One side makes all the decisions while the other side can only watch until such time as it may become their turn to grasp the levers of Power.

Political custom ensures that grandmothers will be sold into slavery and every last manifesto promise abandoned if that's what it takes to maintain a grip on said levers.

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

What future will the Lib Dems have by 2015?   - Page 8 Empty Re: What future will the Lib Dems have by 2015?

Post by Blamhappy Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:56 pm

blueturando wrote:
A five-year coalition under the peacetime British political system is nothing more than a hi-jacking by minorities prior to looting the country... not to mention an admission that the parties involved are scared of what another election would bring to thwart their cosy collusion... .

Phil you and I both know that in the event of another hung parliament in 2015, both Cameron and Miliband will do everything they can to get the likes of the Lib Dems or UKIP (if they get seats) on side to stop the other forming the next government......Priniples go out of the window all round

Is that true? The Lib Dems backed down on nearly everything to pair up with the Tories, which says enough about them for me to not want to ever vote them in, while the Tories and Labour held fairly firm on their policies (Labour especially, I think).
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:14 pm

All the signs are that Labour needs only to avoid doing anything really stupid, in order to emjoy a shoo-in at the next Election.

The Tories will be relying upon their excellent record in Government since 2010. Embarassed
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 pm

oftenwrong wrote:All the signs are that Labour needs only to avoid doing anything really stupid, in order to emjoy a shoo-in at the next Election.

The Tories will be relying upon their excellent record in Government since 2010. Embarassed

Either your joking or this idiotic gov't is blown whatever brain cells they HAD, if this is an excellent record I would hate to see a really rotten one but they do not have a hope in hell of getting into power again in 2015, and Nick Clegg and the L/Ds can wave goodbye to there party in 2015.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm

blueturando wrote:
Bluey, Do you believe in privatisation and charities taking over the role of what a lot of people believe the State should provide, like the NHS, and Community Care ?.

This is a different question all together and one that cannot be answered with Yes/No....

Yes I want a publicly funded NHS and Community care, but I fear for the future as the costs go spirraling out of control. Without reform the whole system is doomed, but I do not want the reform this coalition is trying to push through...it''s too narrow and short sighted to work in the long term....A sticking plaster if you like

We either have public, or private, I dont believe costs come into things at all. Both the media and politicians have been pushing the alarm bell of costings until its comig out of our ears.

I look at it this way, the Health of our nation depends on the core values and principles of the NHS for example.

If we can send £9.1 billion per year plus on foreign aid, expense is not an option when it comes to fully funding our vital public services.

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Good to see you here again Ivanhoe. cheers
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Mel wrote:Good to see you here again Ivanhoe. cheers

Thanks Mel, nice of you to say so.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:28 pm

blueturando wrote:
Bluey, Do you believe in privatisation and charities taking over the role of what a lot of people believe the State should provide, like the NHS, and Community Care ?.

This is a different question all together and one that cannot be answered with Yes/No....

Yes I want a publicly funded NHS and Community care, but I fear for the future as the costs go spirraling out of control. Without reform the whole system is doomed, but I do not want the reform this coalition is trying to push through...it''s too narrow and short sighted to work in the long term....A sticking plaster if you like

Bluey, did you know that privatisation of the railways in 1992 by Tory Prime Minister, John Major, costs £400 billion a year to subside shareholders profits and bosses salaries ect.

Yet our nationalised railways prior to the 1990's cost £100 billion a year ?

What do you say to that ?
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Profit comes first in the Tory mind, service is secondary Ivanhoe. I'm surprised they haven't privatised the air we breath.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Mel wrote:Profit comes first in the Tory mind, service is secondary Ivanhoe. I'm surprised they haven't privatised the air we breath.

I know Mel. I am surprised also.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Mel wrote:Profit comes first in the Tory mind, service is secondary Ivanhoe. I'm surprised they haven't privatised the air we breath.

Its funny you should say that Mel, when the Maggot was in power I was waiting for her to put meters on our backs and charge us for the air we breathed.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:33 am

Ivan wrote:Could you find anyone more unprincipled than Nick Clegg? Having helped the most right-wing government in history to dismantle the NHS, privatise everything in sight and give tax breaks to millionaires, he now wants to work with Labour after 2015, presumably to help reverse as many of those measures as possible!

I agree Ivan with you. but Labour should tell him to go too hell this time
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 am

Give them Time Mel and they will try to privatise the air. Hell they had a go at sell the trees remember
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 am

Redflag wrote:

Its funny you should say that Mel, when the Maggot was in power I was waiting for her to put meters on our backs and charge us for the air we breathed.

Maggot would of sold the whole UK if should could of Red.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:39 am

Phil Hornby wrote:In the name of common decency, we must hope that the Labour Party will not prove to be so desperate as to do what Cameron did in his lust for power.

There is little doubt that Clegg would do anything to hold onto his job, but unless it was a very short-term measure to ensure stable government prior to another General Election being called, it would be less than edifying to see a Labour leader stooping so low as a Tory PM would so willingly do.

A five-year coalition under the peacetime British political system is nothing more than a hi-jacking by minorities prior to looting the country... not to mention an admission that the parties involved are scared of what another election would bring to thwart their cosy collusion...

Phil I think he will be lucky to even hold his own seat
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:33 am

Clegg will be assured of a safe job in Brussels.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 am

oftenwrong wrote:Clegg will be assured of a safe job in Brussels.

Your more than likely right OW, but I would like to see clegg have nothing at all along the political lines that would make my day.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by KnarkyBadger Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 am

I still feel (as I have since the condems formed) That the lib-dems will implode and split into 2 maybe 3 factions or even official parties (depending on whether the orange bookers are absorbed directly into the tories).
KnarkyBadger
KnarkyBadger

https://twitter.com/KnarkyBadger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 pm

The Lib-Dems have no significance beyond a potential ability to annoy right-wing Tories for a bit longer.

Their Party will be invisible after the next General Election, whenever that may be.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunnyrunner Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:43 pm

oftenwrong wrote:The Lib-Dems have no significance beyond a potential ability to annoy right-wing Tories for a bit longer.

Their Party will be invisible after the next General Election, whenever that may be.

I think not Baby Puppy.....

Tweedlecam will just about last to 2015 and then BoJo will sweep in, just before the election. The vote will then be split between the two main parties and the LibDems (who still retain a strong grassroots support) will gain more seats on the back of a 'split' vote.

What is harder to predict is whether Ed Millibean survive till then or succumb to the cabal of Blarites at his back.
:albino:
Bunnyrunner
Bunnyrunner

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 pm

How droll, bunnyrunner. You are a tease!

Who do you think is going to vote for the Quisling Lib-Dems once Cameron's lot have cast them aside like a used condom?

As they undoubtedly will, and tweedlecam ain't gonna wait for 2015 to come around, because he knows the Yellows have no alternative but to put up with his Tory sh1t.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 pm

KnarkyBadger wrote:I still feel (as I have since the condems formed) That the lib-dems will implode and split into 2 maybe 3 factions or even official parties (depending on whether the orange bookers are absorbed directly into the tories).

Hi KnarkyBadger
I can see this coming about, not that there will be many left in the House of Commons. what's more there grass roots party has been bleeding members for the last two years and its showing within there seats. The Tories to could well spilt in two as yet with a anti EU grouping taking over from UKIP. all of this is quite possible with how things are going within these two parties. I would say it could still go anyway right now. but what ever happen it will take place without Clegg as he will lose his seat I am sure off.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by KnarkyBadger Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Stox 16 wrote:
KnarkyBadger wrote:I still feel (as I have since the condems formed) That the lib-dems will implode and split into 2 maybe 3 factions or even official parties (depending on whether the orange bookers are absorbed directly into the tories).

Hi KnarkyBadger
I can see this coming about, not that there will be many left in the House of Commons. what's more there grass roots party has been bleeding members for the last two years and its showing within there seats. The Tories to could well spilt in two as yet with a anti EU grouping taking over from UKIP. all of this is quite possible with how things are going within these two parties. I would say it could still go anyway right now. but what ever happen it will take place without Clegg as he will lose his seat I am sure off.

Clegg will be straight off up to the Lords!
KnarkyBadger
KnarkyBadger

https://twitter.com/KnarkyBadger

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 pm

KnarkyBadger wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:

Hi KnarkyBadger

well it is known as the dead centre of UK politics. ha ha so should fit in quite well.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:03 pm

KnarkyBadger wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:

Hi KnarkyBadger

Only if he gets his Lords reform Bill through, then he would be lucky to get anybody to vote him into the Lords ha ha ha Hell mend him for what he has done to his party because at the next GE they will be EXTINCT.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 pm

Redflag wrote:
KnarkyBadger wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:

Hi KnarkyBadger

Only if he gets his Lords reform Bill through, then he would be lucky to get anybody to vote him into the Lords ha ha ha Hell mend him for what he has done to his party because at the next GE they will be EXTINCT.

Hi Red
For however much I find the Tory party leadership interesting this is nothing to how interesting I find the Lib/Dem. As last week I was playing Chess in a cup game and drew a Lib/dem Chairmen from North Norfolk. Oh boy was he depressed when we was talking to him. he said, '' The Coalition with the Tory party was the biggest miscalculation of any Lib/Dem leader he could remember within his life time'' I could not agree more with him Red. He believes that his whole party hangs on the state of the UK economy come the 2015 GE. Well I pointed out to him that all the figures I have seen show me that his hopes will be dashed.

Clegg his a party that will now not find it easy to fight come 2015. if Clegg makes the Lords then even more Lib/Dem's will up sticks and leave the party. as they will be left with no real party after this.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Cat Woman Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Redflag wrote:
KnarkyBadger wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:

Hi KnarkyBadger

me... I would put him in Jail for crimes against the poor and sick along with Cameron and Gideon.
Red Cat Woman
Red Cat Woman

Back to top Go down

Post by LWS Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Stox 16 wrote:
Redflag wrote:
KnarkyBadger wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:

Hi KnarkyBadger

Hi Red
For however much I find the Tory party leadership interesting this is nothing to how interesting I find the Lib/Dem. As last week I was playing Chess in a cup game and drew a Lib/dem Chairmen from North Norfolk. Oh boy was he depressed when we was talking to him. he said, '' The Coalition with the Tory party was the biggest miscalculation of any Lib/Dem leader he could remember within his life time'' I could not agree more with him Red. He believes that his whole party hangs on the state of the UK economy come the 2015 GE. Well I pointed out to him that all the figures I have seen show me that his hopes will be dashed.

Clegg his a party that will now not find it easy to fight come 2015. if Clegg makes the Lords then even more Lib/Dem's will up sticks and leave the party. as they will be left with no real party after this.

Alright Stox,

Couldn't agree more. The Lib Dems are completely finished and as you are aware I used to be one, that is until that fateful day in May 2010 that they decided to abandon liberalism and become Tories. For destroying his own party, Clegg should either be abandoned on some desert isle or where he can't do any more harm! Never mind I've now joined Labour and thoroughly enjoying my new party. In my heart however I'll always be a liberal.
LWS
LWS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:09 pm

LWS wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:
Redflag wrote:
KnarkyBadger wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:

Hi KnarkyBadger

Hi Red

Alright Stox,

Couldn't agree more. The Lib Dems are completely finished and as you are aware I used to be one, that is until that fateful day in May 2010 that they decided to abandon liberalism and become Tories. For destroying his own party, Clegg should either be abandoned on some desert isle or where he can't do any more harm! Never mind I've now joined Labour and thoroughly enjoying my new party. In my heart however I'll always be a liberal.

Pardon me for interjection. But considering we dont have a Labour party with a manifesto yet, and as a "traditional" Labour voter myself, how can you being enjoying your new party ?
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by LWS Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:
LWS wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:
Redflag wrote:
KnarkyBadger wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:

Hi KnarkyBadger

Hi Red

Alright Stox,

Pardon me for interjection. But considering we dont have a Labour party with a manifesto yet, and as a "traditional" Labour voter myself, how can you being enjoying your new party ?

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question. However it is a change and in my view change is good, it means a state of progression. I realise they don't have a manifesto as such and won't have a fully constructed one until the time of the next election. Does this provide an answer to your query?
LWS
LWS

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Ivanhoe said. Pardon me for interjection. But considering we don’t have a Labour party with a manifesto yet, and as a "traditional" Labour voter myself, how can you being enjoying your new party ?

Neither do the Conservative or the Lib Dems have a manifesto, and wont have till just before the next General election. The manifesto’s they did have (at the same time Labour also had theirs) went out of the window with the writing of the Coalition Agreement.

Why do you feel that The Labour Party should produce one now with possibly another two and a bit years to go till the next GE?
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:22 pm

bobby wrote:Ivanhoe said. Pardon me for interjection. But considering we don’t have a Labour party with a manifesto yet, and as a "traditional" Labour voter myself, how can you being enjoying your new party ?

Neither do the Conservative or the Lib Dems have a manifesto, and wont have till just before the next General election. The manifesto’s they did have (at the same time Labour also had theirs) went out of the window with the writing of the Coalition Agreement.

Why do you feel that The Labour Party should produce one now with possibly another two and a bit years to go till the next GE?

Because Ed Milland's got to start showing his colours. We dont want a return to Blair's Thatcherism.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:32 am

Ed is using the same tactic Cameron used when asked when in opposition.
Quote-- "we are not about to give the opposition the opportunity of stealing our plans and ideas".

Thatcherism?? we certanly are having a double dose of her ideology at present with worse to come no doubt.

Ed can do nothing to oust these tyrants himself although the British public could if they were to take collective action against the them, rather than sitting back and allowing themselves to be downtrodden.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Judging by current events in the US Presidential Election, Nick Clegg's Lib-Dems could do worse than take one pace swiftly three-thousand miles to the West, as there is clearly a vacancy in US Politics.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Judging by current events in the US Presidential Election, Nick Clegg's Lib-Dems could do worse than take one pace swiftly three-thousand miles to the West, as there is clearly a vacancy in US Politics.

That could be one hellova "yank" methinks.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm

bobby wrote:Ivanhoe said. Pardon me for interjection. But considering we don’t have a Labour party with a manifesto yet, and as a "traditional" Labour voter myself, how can you being enjoying your new party ?

That is so true bobby but the right wingers and others want Ed Miliband to produce the Labour parties Manifesto now I wonder why? could it be that the Tories and L/Ds are on the lookout for some ideas as they have none of their own.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Hello Red. Some people choose to call themselves Labour supporters, yet as you so eloquently put it, want Ed Miliband to show the Tory led Coalition how to get themselves out of trouble, and possibly re-elected come the next GE. These same people also keep peddling the absolute rubbish that New Labour where followers of Thatcher. Their only reason for this is because New Labour assisted business in order to pay for all of the other New Labour Benefits like the Free bus travel, the winter Fuel allowance, the minimum wage, pension credits for the lower paid, investment in schools, investment in our NHS and reduce the massive unemployement inherited from the previous Government the list goes on and on, and for doing all that, they are called Thatcherite.
Now I’ll wait for the response going on and on about means testing, and the very outdated traditional Labour values.
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:47 pm

bobby wrote:Hello Red. Some people choose to call themselves Labour supporters, yet as you so eloquently put it, want Ed Miliband to show the Tory led Coalition how to get themselves out of trouble, and possibly re-elected come the next GE. These same people also keep peddling the absolute rubbish that New Labour where followers of Thatcher. Their only reason for this is because New Labour assisted business in order to pay for all of the other New Labour Benefits like the Free bus travel, the winter Fuel allowance, the minimum wage, pension credits for the lower paid, investment in schools, investment in our NHS and reduce the massive unemployement inherited from the previous Government the list goes on and on, and for doing all that, they are called Thatcherite.
Now I’ll wait for the response going on and on about means testing, and the very outdated traditional Labour values.

New Labour where followers of Thatcher. Bang on. Now tell us all why you believe traditional Labour values are outdated ?
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Under Blair almost everyone benefited, including the poor, the sick, the disabled and yes the wealthy business people to boot. The poor got richer and so did the rich. FACT.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Mel wrote:Under Blair almost everyone benefited, including the poor, the sick, the disabled and yes the wealthy business people to boot. The poor got richer and so did the rich. FACT.

The poor got means tested. The rich got tax cuts. Fact.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:12 pm

I have said many times, What Tony Blairs New Labour bought us was a Government for all, not just the workers but those like myself who have to make the money to pay the wage bill, and all that goes with it.

Labour albeit allways better than Conservative (with any size c you wish to put on it) Government, and what Tony Blair saw was the need to change and take us away from a Government for either the poor or the rich, as Mel said every one benefitted under Tony Blairs New Labour, as he governed for all. That is basically why traditional Old Labour values are as outdated as are the traditional Old Conservative values we are now being served up with.

For you or anyone else to say that New Labour where followers of Thatcher is to put it mildly is a load of bollocks, and couldnt be further from the truth.

Why did Tony Blair win the 1997 Election, If his policies where Thatchrite, and lets not forget 80% of New Labour Manifesto pledges where fulfilled within the first Parliament, would there have been a need for all of these pledges to have been implemented if they where Thatcherite, therefore would already have been in place.

Or was it Thatchers policies to rebuild the schools she had allready let go to ruin, rebuild/refurbish many hospitals thatcher allowed to lay fallow. There is a hundred and one things Tony Blair did that was diametrically opposed to the Thatcher, Tory doctrine.

You obviously think the Social Chapter which was a bill attached to the Maastricht treaty with an opt out clause put in by John (fancy a Curry) Major, and subsequently the opt out was used by John Major. The Chapter was then implemented in 1997 the first year of 13 good/better Labour years.

I would be very interested to know how The Blair Government was to fund the sweeping changes and the massive investments in our infrastructure and health/welfare system. He knew the best way was for our business sector to thrive and fund it through taxes at the same time as keeping unemployment down. Old labour is dead and we should let it rest in peace as it had its day, but now in a Global market which we must do our best to compete in, we need good healthy businesses to help fund the things we need such as the NHS.

I am really glad that people who think the way you do are now in a very small minority, as the rest of us have moved on, and once back in power, moved on for the better.

Perhaps you might now tell us why you think Tony Blairs New Labour was thatcherite other than assisting business.
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next